R&D Software Engineering Intern
25 days ago
Niantic's Research and Development team is seeking PhD-students who are passionate about inventing new algorithms and experiences. Join us for a 3 or 4 month research internship to work on computer vision, learning, and/or HCI, alongside our growing team of researchers and engineers in London (UK). The aim is to innovate and/or publish the work we do together, pushing the field forward. The projects you will work on fit under the broad umbrella of augmented reality, including deep or shallow machine learning models, mapping & relocalization, tracking, 3D reconstruction, human-computer interaction, and graphics for mixed reality. We invite you to explore the best AR problems with us!
- Dig deep into a fun computer vision / machine learning / HCI topic, becoming the expert and breaking new ground.
- Discover ways to automatically understand imagery and/or telemetry from the real world, to track, reconstruct, localize, synthesize, or recognize more accurately or more efficiently. Alternately, discover ways for users to author and interact with an AR world.
- Work alongside our other researchers, accepting help and aiding others, to make discoveries that will eventually help the Niantic Platform, as it empowers developers to make important AR experiences for millions of people.
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members and stakeholders, including regular and reliable attendance and participation in meetings.
- Required in-office 2 days on Tuesday and Thursday.
- You are enrolled in a PhD program in computer science or a related field, with a focus on computer vision, robotics, AR, HCI, or machine learning.
- You have experience building your own software systems in Python or C++, wrangling 2D and/or 3D data, training models, and running experiments. Alternatively, you have experience developing AR applications (e.g., in Unity/C#) and running user studies.
- You are proficient at finding, reading, and efficiently critiquing and experimentally assessing published research papers.
- You have experience writing technical papers in English for a scientific audience.
- You have had 1+ papers accepted to ICCV / NeurIPS / IROS / ISMAR / SIGGRAPH / CHI type conferences.
- You have experience building efficient and/or interactive software systems.
- You have experience designing your own architectures within a deep learning framework (e.g. PyTorch, Tensorflow, or similar).
- You have designed, run, and statistically analyzed your own user studies.
- You have collected and curated your own raw data.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015. Some of our current consumer titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and Pikmin Bloom. In November 2021, we launched our developer platform, Lightship, enabling creators to build immersive AR experiences around the globe. Our basketball universe has come to life, as we recently launched one of the most innovative sports games ever, in partnership with the NBA. NBA ALL-World is now live and playable globally! Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer.
We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
Niantic is a hybrid first company. We believe that in person interaction and collaboration fosters creativity, a sense of community, and is critical to our future success as a company. Our hybrid work schedules allow for a mix of remote and in-office work.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Palo Alto, Bellevue, Los Angeles, Kansas, New York, Miami, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, Hyderabad, and Zurich. #LI-HYBRID
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.