Quality Assurance Manager
3 days ago
Job Title : Quality Assurance Manager
Reporting To: Sr. QA Manager and/or QA Director
Department : Quality Assurance
Location: Austin, TX
Founded in 1979, Activision has continuously disrupted the world of entertainment as a leader in the videogame industry. With a history of delivering iconic game changers -- like Pitfall® , Tony Hawk®, Guitar Hero®, Crash Bandicoot™, Skylanders ™ and Call of Duty ® -- our obsession is delighting our players around the globe. Focused and committed to innovation, we consistently deliver the most beloved, engaging and successful entertainment.
And while we have world-class franchises, infrastructure and resources, our success comes from a passionate, talented and diverse team of people producing greatness together. So, if you’re interested in our biggest priority, it’s our people.
We’re currently driving the next era for our company and community by creating amazing experiences for fans and continuing to make Activision an inclusive place where everyone can thrive.
Join us, make history. To learn more, check us out at www.activision.com , www.activisiongamesblog.com or @Activision on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
The QA Manager is responsible for managing multiple projects through the Quality Assurance test process. This involves assigning and managing test leads and test teams, planning and managing the QA budget and test plan, coordinating with the Production Management team as well as first parties, and overseeing the entire test effort from beginning to end. The QA Manager works to ensure that each project is tested in line with best company practices, and participates in overall department planning, process improvement and policy making. This position also helps coordinate workflow and resource planning within the department, with an emphasis on people management and staff development.
Priorities can often change in a fast-paced environment like ours, so this role includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Works with QA Project Leads to manage the testing of assigned software projects from the earliest stages until completion.
- Organizes the test environment and coordinates the arrangement of the necessary hardware and software to perform technical requirement testing.
- Participates in resource planning on both a project level and on a departmental level so that every title currently in test at Activision is receiving fair and sufficient resources and support.
- Oversees creation of the test plan and budget and monitors spending to ensure the project is kept on track. Communicates changes to the schedule or plan that will affect the overall budget to upper management.
- Oversees creation of milestone assessment reports at Alpha and Beta in accordance with QA policies.
- Assists with the creation of the Customer Support Packet, Project Post Mortem, Game Quality Reviews, and other reports as dictated by project or departmental needs, and maintains a record of each for future reference.
- Assists in reviewing packaging and documentation for accuracy. Organizes QA review of strategy guides or other marketing materials when appropriate.
- Helps ensure product quality by monitoring test effort and test effectiveness across each platform. Provides metrics and other information on project status to upper management.
- Provides guidance to the QA team leadership on project quality goals and testing strategy, so that the testing effort is in sync with overall departmental quality guidelines.
- Organizes project wrap up when the project has been completed, including reassigning staff, archiving project masters for the master library, and other procedures in accordance with Activision practices.
Department standards and practices
- Helps develop and maintain Activision standards and practices, so that all Activision titles are tested in a consistent and rigorous manner.
- Oversees maintenance of Activision’s standards and practices documentation.
- Oversees development of requirement test planning and test strategies that can be applied to future titles, based on lessons learned from previous projects and other test theories and quality concepts.
- Coordinates procedure development with other Quality Assurance groups and other Activision departments so that each group works together effectively and without redundancy.
- Remains current with the latest developments in console and PC hardware and software and applies that information in the test planning phase to help improve the overall test process.
Staff Management and Development
- Advises subordinates, including training and coaching staff for improved performance.
- Evaluates team performance, with the goal of improving test effectiveness.
- Works to develop staff so that they can take on additional responsibility and continue moving forward in their career progression.
- Participates in the hiring process; provides feedback on candidates for promotion and on hiring decisions.
- Demonstrated skills with QA methodologies, software development lifecycle, and problem solving.
- Proficient with Devtrack & Jira or similar bug tracking database.
- Able to identify defects in software titles and report defects in a clear and concise manner.
- Capacity to create and implement innovative testing procedures and materials.
- Excellent knowledge of most popular console platforms and related peripherals, PC Software/hardware, and Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel).
- 5+ years QA experience, preferably in the interactive software publishing field.
- Excellent written/spoken English.
- B.A. or B.S. in Computer Science/Entertainment related area or equivalent work experience required (desired).
- Has an understanding of financial acumen and how to act on it. Considers impact to the AOP and P&L and takes fiscal responsibility into consideration before making decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects. Ability to meet Activision’s established deadlines.
- Demonstrated success in the leading and managing of people in a team-based environment.
- Capacity to create and implement innovative testing procedures and materials.
- Extensive experience as a QA Project Lead/Senior QA Project Lead on a wide variety of software titles.
- Excellent written/verbal/presentation skills; ability to convey complex ideas in a simple fashion.
Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment. We are home to some of the most beloved entertainment franchises including Call of Duty ®, World of Warcraft® , Overwatch ®, Diablo ®, Candy Crush ™ and Bubble Witch ™. Our combined entertainment network delights hundreds of millions of monthly active users in 196 countries, making us the largest gaming network on the planet!
Our ability to build immersive and innovate worlds is only enhanced by diverse teams working in an inclusive environment. We aspire to have a culture where everyone can thrive in order to connect and engage the world through epic entertainment. We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered!
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
Activision is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
About Activision Blizzard Media
Activision Blizzard Media is the gateway for brands to the #1 cross-platform gaming company in the western world, with hundreds of millions of players across over 190 countries. Our legendary portfolio includes iconic mobile game franchises such as Candy Crush™, esports opportunities like the Call of Duty® and Overwatch® Leagues, and some of the top PC and console gaming franchises such as World of Warcraft®, Call of Duty®, and StarCraft®.
The idea is simple: great game experiences offer great marketing experiences. We have built a new team to introduce innovative, impactful, and rewarding advertising experiences to our huge audience of highly-engaged players. We are looking for new talents to help take our emergent media offering to the next level.
We need all sorts of heroes
Making games is fun. Especially when you do it with people who share the same idea of what makes a good workplace, great. We design games for everyone, no matter where they are or who they are, and we employ all sorts of people from all kinds of backgrounds to bring them to life. Truth is, we simply can’t expect diversity in our players and originality in our games without first nurturing it in our people.
Ready to play?
Come join our world and work alongside some of the best and brightest minds in the business.
All applications should be made in English.
Discover more at https://www.activisionblizzardmedia.com/
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.