Publishing Discipline Director
16 days ago
Bungie Publishing is looking for a Discipline Director to join our growing organization. Reporting to Bungie’s Chief Marketing Officer, you will direct the work of our managers to provide leadership, expertise, and support for our teams, further developing our management practices to boost our capability and effectiveness. You will oversee Publishing recruiting, talent development, performance management, and organization planning efforts. You will collaborate with Bungie’s department and discipline managers to share knowledge and best practices, to drive projects focused on up leveling our Publishing managers, and to set up formal rituals and mentorship opportunities for our team. Working with our People Team partners, you will drive projects focused on team health, inclusion, diversity, and equity programs, and the growth and development of our team.
While candidates for this role need to show firsthand experience and a deep understanding of publishing’s unique craft and technical aspects, this role is primarily focused on directing the successful development and management of our staff and delivering organizational health. A growth mindset is going to be your most useful trait, along with empathy, conscientiousness, and communications ability.
- Manage and mentor the managers in the Publishing organization during a transition to matrix management, which will support the teams with additional resources dedicated to craft and growth
- Work with our Senior Directors in Publishing to develop and evangelize an inspiring and integrated Publishing organizational vision that supports our creative and business goals
- Incrementally evolve publishing’s management rituals, processes, and culture to ensure high-quality executions and sustainable results
- Drive annual organization, succession, performance development, and talent planning to ensure teams are resourced to support Bungie’s strategy
- Coordinate recruiting, talent development, and performance management rituals for the org
- Develop and help deliver change management communications across the publishing team as we grow and evolve into multi-project publishing
- Resolve difficult cross-group challenges and tradeoffs with diligence and empathy
- Review and guide annual managerial planning, quarterly reviews, and all large-scale publishing-focused people team projects
- Consistently review team resilience and ensure our live service teams maintain predictable and reliable schedules, with staffing solutions focused on the sustainability and health required to maintain live service excellence
- Maintain and evolve the management quality bar for publishing managers
- Serve as escalation point for management and personnel situations
- Collaborate with Development team and G&A partners to support strong relationships, prioritize efforts to maximize benefit, and ensure project alignment
- Reinforce and upgrade our culture of inclusivity, positivity, vulnerability, and cooperation, collaborating with our ID&E and People Team leadership
- Able to work effectively at multiple levels, from high level strategic discussions with non-publishing partners to solving challenges that require a deeper understanding of a specific discipline’s craft and area of expertise
- Experience leading and influencing other managers and leads on AAA game publishing teams
- Excellent organizational and process design skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong emotional intelligence
- Experience working on live service games
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Most Bungie full-time employees will adopt a digital first approach allowing remote work in Bungie approved locations (outside of positions identified as 100% onsite in Bellevue/Seattle, or individuals preferring a hybrid/flex environment). Prospective full-time employees located outside of CA, CO, DC, FL, GA, IL, MA, MD, MN, NC, NJ, NY, OR, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, or WI will need to establish residency in one of the states we are compliant in within 45 days of a start date. Contractors will follow a digital first approach adhering to the location guidelines agreed upon by our third-party employer/vendor and Bungie. Bungie’s remote policy is subject to change at the company’s discretion.