Project Lead Artist
7 days ago
Crystal Dynamics, a part of the Square Enix family, is constantly on the hunt for top-tier gaming talent worldwide. We pride ourselves on attracting and developing the best talent available to concept, create, and contribute to the most exciting projects in gaming today. 25+ years of history creating fun and exciting titles for the world to enjoy as well as our studio’s 1000+ years of combined game industry experience provides a rich tapestry of tested and new ideas to draw from as has established us as one of the best studios in the world to work for.
Crystal Dynamics is looking for a Project Lead Artist who has achieved excellence in a variety of art types including concept and 2D, character and environment modeling, texturing and lighting. We are looking for highly collaborative, enthusiastic and motivated candidates with a strong sense of problem solving and excellent cross-departmental communication skills. We would love for you to inspire us and show us the mastery of your craft.
Essential Duties :
- Utilize strong skillsets in 2d/concept art for visual communication and direction
- Work in close collaboration with other Leads and Directors on a creative and technical effort to build worlds from initial concept to complete, polished form
- Conceptualize, present, and execute ideas within a schedule; while actively participating in technical and artistic problem solving
- Create visually stunning, atmospheric, effective and efficient 3D models of natural and architectural environments with strong drawing, texturing and lighting skills and an excellent sense of spatial relations and structural logic
- Lead the efforts for our creature and character teams, delivering amazing concepts and models for inspiration and direction
- Assess current toolsets and other workflow items for improvement
Competencies, Skills & Knowledge:
- Strong spatial sense and an eye for good composition
- Know the fundamentals of cutting edge 3D graphics techniques including: Working with physics based spaces, High-poly modeling (Maya and ZBrush), baking normal and displacement maps from high-poly to game-res meshes, shader manipulation, modular construction and assembly techniques, knowledge of baked and dynamic lighting models, post effects, etc.
- 6+ years experience as an Environment and/or Character Artist on titles
- Software: Microsoft Word, Maya, ZBrush (preferred) and Photoshop
- Previous experience with either an architectural or traditional art background, or with cinematography experience
** A portfolio submission is required for this position. Please focus this portfolio on personal contributions to your projects. Please include a shot breakdown specifying what you were directly responsible for creating. Considered portfolios should include the following:
- 10-15 best examples of your work (Maya renders in addition to in-game screen shots or video) . This should be a variety of art types – 2d/concept, 3d character and environment, lighting, etc.
- 3-5 Mesh shots (that show efficiency & good work process)
- 3-5 Texture Sheets including diffuse, spec and normal maps (that shows correct use of maps, efficient use of UV space and artistic skill)
- 1 (or more) examples of lighting
Crystal Dynamics is an EOE and M/F/D/V Employer