This job might no longer be available.
Programmer (Lead) - Engine
1 month ago
Do you love leading a team of programmers, working in low level code, and optimizing game code?
Blackbird Interactive is looking for a passionate and experienced programmer to join our team to be a key part of our engineering backbone working on an exciting and innovative IP. You will be part of a high performing team who can crunch ideas quickly and come up with dazzling solutions to challenging problems. You will have a collaborative approach and be directly involved in the day to day decision making and ship a high quality game.
- Lead the engine programming team with good planning and strong execution
- Direct your team with clear, effective and caring guidance and feedback
- Support and extend a modern C++ game engine on a variety of platforms
- Assess, plan, and assist in optimizations for CPU/GPU performance and memory usage
- Triage, and assist in fixing system crashes
- Assess requirements and provide development estimates to guide an evolving plan
- Embrace and improve our engineering practices for design, testing, and implementation
- 8+ years of game development on shipped products
- Strong understanding of modern C++
- Experience optimizing and debugging large codebases
- Proven ability to lead a technical team in a highly dynamic environment
- Strong interdisciplinary collaboration skills, including verbal and written skills
- Experience shipping AAA games on multiple platforms
- Experience with Unity 3D, Unreal, or other similar full-featured game engine
- Understanding of memory management systems, file systems, CPU/GPU profiling tools
- Demonstrated passion for games and technology.
At Blackbird, we're all about being true to our roots. We started small in our CEO's garage, and even though we're expanding, our desire is to stick to that foundation of creativity, community, and collaboration. Our team has proved that great ideas can come from any position in any discipline, so it's important to us to make sure every voice is heard.
Work/life balance is extremely important to us, and we've demonstrated that over the years by severely limiting over-time requirements. We want people to be happy about coming to work every day, and to that end we offer lots of opportunities for growth and development; whether it's lunch and learns, team events, or our generous vacation days, paid holiday closure and flexible schedules. We also try to provide every opportunity possible for our employees to spearhead R&D initiatives through our BlackOps program. In short, don't expect to feel like a cog in a machine working for BBI.
Due to COVID-19, applicants must be eligible to work in Canada, or currently in Canada on a work permit/visa. With the exception of specifically on-site roles, all roles will commence as a work-from-home arrangement. This arrangement will be revisited as COVID-19 government regulations are eased.
Please send a cover letter with your resume and application. If applying for an artistic role, please provide a link to your portfolio and/or demo reel.
If you are interested in the role, please apply even if your experience and skills don’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. BBI does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.