Production Puppet Tools Developer - Wētā Digital
16 days ago
Can you contribute to the movie magic behind Wētā FX's amazing CG creatures? The Wētā Digital Puppet Tools team provides Wētā artists with the rigging toolkit they need to produce fast CG puppets while pushing the limits of quality and cinema-grade complexity. We are a small team with diverse skills who produce generalized but highly customizable puppet "templates" using proprietary software. We supply tooling to configure and release the puppets for specific characters on shows. Our responsibilities include low level rigging code, build systems, UIs, and pipelining. We support and interact with both animators and creature rigging Technical Directors
What you’ll be doing
- Improving the pipeline for puppet builds and delivery
- Developing custom tooling and GUIs for customers including Creature TDs and Animation
- Building additional puppet archetypes
- Help shape the next wave of development to expose our building units to the Creatures department
What we’re looking for
- Relevant work experience in VFX, Feature Animation, Games and/or other commercially related industries
- Strong production-based experience with Maya API and Python
- Strong programming and UI/UX abilities (preferably Python & C/C++ experience and PyQT)
- Being able to communicate effectively, work collaboratively and give and receive constructive feedback will be critical to your success in this role
- You’ll have excellent time keeping skills and strive to maintain a resilient and constructive workspace within your team
You might also have
- Strong mathematical skills (Mathematics degree)
- Strong rigging skills
- Production experience rigging Creatures, Characters, Vehicles and/or other Mechanical assets
Life at Unity
Unity (NYSE: U) is the world’s leading platform for creating and operating real-time 3D (RT3D) content. Creators, ranging from game developers to artists, architects, automotive designers, filmmakers, and others, use Unity to make their imaginations come to life. Unity is the foundation upon which the world’s most powerful digital content is created. Specifically, Unity’s platform provides a comprehensive set of software solutions to create, run and monetize interactive, real-time 2D and 3D content for mobile phones, tablets, PCs, consoles, and augmented and virtual reality devices.
In the fourth quarter of 2022, more than 70% of the top 1000 mobile games were made with Unity as derived from a blended number of the top 1000 games in the Google Play Store and Apple App Store. In 2022, Made with Unity Applications had more than 4 billion downloads per month. For more information, please visit www.unity.com.
Unity is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, disability, gender, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations or accommodations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please fill out this form to let us know.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.
Your privacy is important to us. Please take a moment to review our Prospect and Applicant Privacy Policies. Should you have any concerns about your privacy, please contact us at DPO@unity.com .
Only domestic relocation support is available for this position.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.