Product Owner – Data Strategy and Operations (DSO) - Account, Device and Features
6 days ago
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Now, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
The Data Strategy and Operations (DSO) team has grown rapidly over recent years in response to an increasing need for the business to leverage data to inform and shape key decisions, and to identify new opportunities. Currently there are over 150 staff within the DSO team, split between London and California, made up of high-quality BI and data professionals covering BI architecture and platform support, data processing, insight reporting, predictive analytics, scrum masters and product management.
We’re looking for a data and business intelligence Product Owner for our Account, Device and Features Scrum team (one of the several Scrum teams in DSO). The team is responsible for providing most of the core data and reporting on the huge PlayStation player base and on devices and peripherals in our network, including all forms of Gameplay, Device Distribution, Monthly Active Users and platform features like Party and Messages.
The internal customers for these products are dozens of teams across the company who use them to make data-based decisions and manage our business effectively. They are based in California, London and Tokyo, and the Product Owner will be their main point of contact for data needs, having the exciting opportunity to work across almost all functions in SIE and learn all the different aspects of our business.
The individual will join a great team of Product Owners who work closely together to ensure collaboration and coordination across the data scrum teams, reporting to the DSO Senior Manager of Product Owners, who is based in London.
What you’ll be doing:
- Own a set of data products, define their roadmap and create transparency and visibility on the team priorities, being able to articulate the business value behind the work and the reasons for the priorities assigned.
- Build strong relationships with business users and stakeholders, working closely with them and the other members of the Product group from DSO to understand business requirements and turn them into epics and stories for the owned products.
- Within an agile delivery environment, give direction and empower a development scrum team, prioritising the team backlog, supporting user story refinement and breakdown, overseeing their delivery and ensuring that data meets business expectations.
- Communicate regularly, run demos, provide updates on new features developed and released to end users, ensuring user-level documentation and support are provided.
- Be a key influencer and supporter of an agile delivery style within the scrum teams as well as to the wider business.
- Start as a fully remote role given Covid-19, expected to transition to hybrid office-remote in latter part of 2021.
- Be able to accommodate flexible working hours to interact with remote team members and stakeholders in California and Tokyo, typically in UK afternoons. In exchange, we offer a lot of flexibility for people to adapt their daily schedule to business needs.
- Some global travel may be required, usually to SIE offices in California.
What we’re looking for:
- Experience in data or business intelligence.
- Experience working as a product owner or product manager or experience as business analyst, delivery manager or project manager and keen to transition to a product role.
- Be able to capture requirements from business stakeholders, interpret and articulate these requirements to development teams.
- Skills to perform data analysis via SQL.
- Understanding of Agile principles and methodologies, preferably Scrum.
- Ability to engage at all levels from senior stakeholders in the business to developers.
- Ability to multi-task and context-switch between low-level detail and the ‘bigger picture’.
- Graduate with minimum of 2:1 at UK degree level (or equivalent).
- Knowledge of the gaming industry.
- Awareness of main BI and data technologies (like MicroStrategy, Tableau or Domo; Snowflake or other RDBMS; Ab Initio or other ETL tools; AWS or other cloud technology).
- Discretionary bonus opportunity
- Private Medical Insurance
- Dental Scheme
- London Allowance (if applicable)
- 25 days holiday per year
- On Site Gym
- Subsidised Café
- Free soft drinks
- On site bar
- Access to cycle garage and showers
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.