This job might no longer be available.
Product Designer, Developer Experience
San Francisco, CA
4 months ago
Skillz is driving the future of entertainment by accelerating the convergence of sports, video games and media for an exploding mobile-first audience worldwide. The company’s platform empowers mobile game developers and players with democratized access to fun, fair and skill-based competition for real prizes, shifting the paradigm to make eSports accessible to anyone, anywhere with a mobile device.
Skillz helps developers build multi-million dollar game franchises by turning content into competitive social gaming properties for the world’s 2.6 billion gamers. The company has already worked with 13,000 game developers, leveraging its patented technology to host over 800 million tournaments for 18 million players worldwide.
This year, Skillz was recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies and CNBC Disruptor 50 (for the second time). In 2018, Skillz was listed as one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups and Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Companies. In 2017, Inc. Magazine ranked Skillz the No. 1 fastest-growing private company in America.
The company is backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports luminaries, ranging from Liberty Global, Accomplice, Wildcat Capital, Telstra Ventures, and a founder of Great Hill Partners to the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Mets, and Sacramento Kings.
Who we're looking for:
Your passion for design leads you to creating fresh new concepts that can change an industry. You’re insatiably curious, and you take the initiative to find solutions to obvious and hidden problems. The status quo is not sufficient, and you are constantly looking for new ways to improve your designs and a user’s experience, and you expect the people around you to do the same. Designers on our Developer Experience team will shape how our game creators interact with Skillz and pave the way for them to evolve how everyone engages with mobile games.
What You'll Do:
- Work end-to-end, tackling complex user needs from sketching to low and high fidelity prototypes
- Own feature designs that create responsive experiences across multiple devices for our game developer platform experience
- Leverage solid design rationale to create an intuitive platform experience that’s responsive across multiple devices
- Gain a deep understanding of our target users through observations, research, and analytics so that you can champion their needs
- Be the champion our target users by deeply understanding their needs through observations, research, and analytics
- Collaborate with product managers, engineers, and other designers to incorporate feedback and uncover compelling design solutions
- Think about design as a system, contributing to and maintaining our pattern library in order to influence quality and efficiency for all our teams and products
- 3+ years of professional experience as a UX or Product Designer
- Experience designing for mobile-first, responsive web applications
- Portfolio that demonstrates solid understanding and use of typography, color, imagery, layout, and grid systems
- Portfolio that showcases sound product thinking and strong design rationale through navigation, user flows, interaction design, and information architecture
- Ability to manage deadlines and collaborate in a cross functional environment
- Experienced in using various design software including Sketch, Adobe CS, and Invision
- Experience with motion design and animation is a plus
- Experience with hand-coding HTML, CSS, and JS is a plus
Along with your resume, please include links to your portfolio work that best represents your design process.
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance .