This job might no longer be available.
Principal Systems Development Engineer
13 days ago
Twitch is the world’s biggest live streaming service, with global communities built around gaming, entertainment, music, sports, cooking, and more. It’s where millions of people come together to chat, interact, and make their own entertainment.
We’re about community, inside and out. You’ll find coworkers who are eager to team up, collaborate, and smash (or elegantly solve) problems together. We’re on a quest to empower live communities, so if this sounds good to you, see what we’re up to on LinkedIn and Twitter , get interviewing tips on Instagram , and discover projects we’re solving on our Blog .
About the Role
Twitch operates the largest dedicated live video CDN in the world, routinely delivering over 25Tbps to more than 5MM concurrent viewers. The Video Distribution team oversees the software that operates that CDN, which includes everything from custom edge software that delivers video on thousands of hosts worldwide, to the graphing algorithms that manage our worldwide caching hierarchy, and to the highly complex and introspective algorithms that decide what server a user should be assigned when they start playback.
We are looking for principal level system development engineers who are excited by the thought of working across the entire CDN stack, from service load-balancing, to performance optimization, and to backbone traffic management. You will be reporting to the Director of Video Distribution. You will help architect, develop, test, deploy, operate, and maintain our CDN. As part of the team, we will work together to allow our broadcasters and viewers to create and interact in new ways.
This position can be remote.
- Create the hardware roadmap for the CDN, planning for five year cycles
- Work with software engineers to get the most performance out of our hardware
- Help define the future of the Twitch video stack
- Collaborate across the company to define, design , build and improve the video systems
- 5 years of experience building and scaling distributed, highly available systems
- Experience shipping code in fast, iterative cycles
- Excellent command of at least one scripting language
- Excellent knowledge of Linux
- Experience working in large scale CDNs
- A Bachelor's, or preferably Master's, in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience
- You know Go and have used it in production-ready systems
- You have built real time video/audio systems
- You have experience with network engineering and BGP
- Start-up experience
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance
- Maternity & Parental Leave
- Flexible PTO
- Amazon Employee Discount
- Monthly Contribution & Discounts for Wellness Related Activities & Programs (e.g., gym memberships , off-site massages , etc. )
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Pursuant to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
The base pay range for this position in Colorado, Connecticut, Washington and New Jersey is $179,900 - $243,400(hr/yr) and in New York City is $197,900 - $267,800 (hr/yr). Pay is based on market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. A sign-on payment and restricted stock units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. Applicants should apply via Twitch's internal or external careers site.
Workers in New York City who perform in-person work or interact with the public in the course of business must show proof they have been fully vaccinated against COVID or request and receive approval for a reasonable accommodation, including medical or religious accommodation. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch.
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, or other legally protected status.
Twitch values your privacy. Please consult our Candidate Privacy Notice, for information about how we collect, use, and disclose personal information of our candidates.
Job ID: TW7691
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.