Principal Software Engineer (Product Development)
10 days ago
The Product Development group is hiring a Principal Software Engineer. This group is responsible for building our core technology proposition: a suite of components and tooling that supports the creation of complex, large-scale simulations in the Government and Defence space. The remit of the group is growing constantly and as part of that growth we are looking for an experienced principal engineer to help us lead this effort.
Your mission is to support our engineers through technical leadership and direction, continuous guidance and mentorship.
We are still fairly early in our journey as a company which means this role, like most of our leadership roles, isn’t fully defined and will evolve over time. Having said that, the following should offer a good indication of what will be expected of a principal engineer.
Areas of impact:
- Shape the technical vision: work with our technical leadership team to shape the technical vision and architecture of the product, making sure they align to the product vision and the overall business goals.
- Communication: be comfortable communicating with technical and non technical stakeholders (including senior leadership) - be able to make business goals “real” for engineers as well as demystify technology considerations for our commercial colleagues.
- Technical Guidance: this isn’t a hands-on role but we do expect you to work with teams and individuals to make sure they deliver valuable software for the business. This can be achieved in multiple ways: mentoring, code review, pair-programming, design sessions etc.
- We have a lot of high potential engineers who are keen to learn. What we need more of are teachers.
We'd love to hear from you if you identify with the following:
- Breadth: significant experience working on commercial software across multiple companies, industries or domains.
- Generalism: experience across multiple tech stacks, different types of applications, products and services.
- Distributed Systems: we don’t necessarily need someone with tons of experience in distributed systems (though that would be great) - but an understanding of the advantages and challenges of building distributed systems is essential to succeed in the role.
- Engineering Delivery Mindset: this one is really important to us. Commercial engineering means occasionally there are some real hard choices that need to be made to meet an organisational goal. You need to be able to demonstrate dealing with real life delivery constraints in your past.
Nb: While we think the above experience could be important, we can’t predict the future and so we’re keen to hear from applicants that believe they have valuable experience. If you identify with the team & mission, but not all of the suggestions, then please still apply!!
Improbable is determined to foster an environment where people can do their best work and feel like they belong. We believe a healthy culture, strong values and contribution from a diverse range of individuals will help us to achieve success.
We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, gender, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.