Principal Software Engineer I
4 days ago
Team Name:Battle.net & Online Products
Job Title:Principal Software Engineer I
Principal Software Engineer, Game Services Social
The Game Services Social team develops the global social-network software used by players on the Battle.net platform, both in-game and via various mobile and desktop apps. Our mission is to build social features which unlock the greatness of gaming together.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 8 years of experience with software development in C++
- Experience building high-performance distributed systems and client/server applications
- Strong data-structure, logic, and algorithm skills
- Experience with Linux development, GDB debugging, and command line tools
- Experience with Windows application or service development
- Self-motivated and able to break down complex tasks
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science with a specialization in Software Engineering
- 10+ years of experience with software development in C++, including C++17 or later
- 2+ years of experience with software development in C#
- Some technical leadership and coaching experience
- Experience with Functional Programming through Rust, OCaml, Scala, F#, or Haskell
- Experience developing libraries, frameworks, APIs, and/or SDKs for use by other developers
- Experience with Cloud development and infrastructure
- Experience working with large-volume, low-latency message systems such as Kafka, RabbitMQ, MQTT, NATS, TIBCO Messaging, etc.
- Working knowledge of MySql, Cassandra, Redis, or related relational and NoSQL databases
- Experience supporting a live always-on service
- Familiarity with the architectures and underlying technologies which drive large social networks such as Battle.net, etc.
- A passion for video games and technology
About the Role
In this role, you will join a tight-knit Empowered Product Team that develops scalable, highly performant and highly available global game services. This role focuses on building and improving player social systems integrated by studios across Activision and Blizzard and used daily by millions of players concurrently. This team builds the heart of Battle.net player systems and your services are directly leveraged by every major game release!
Candidates must work well on a team, have an interest in developing massive distributed systems with a strong focus on server-side C++ and exhibit a passion for bringing people closer together through social networking.
- Contribute to the design, development, and maintenance of large-scale distributed systems and social features in C++
- Create unit and integration test code to validate service reliability
- Write API documentation for consumption by game developers and other integrators
- Function as the backup team lead when necessary
- Coordinate with embedded and external teams, create relationships and assist with shared initiatives
- Adhere to established coding standards & development philosophies, maintain efficient coding practices, and produce clean code that works
- Perform research to discover new, enabling technologies and acquire knowledge necessary to complete assigned tasks
- Create technical design documents and other artifacts
- Mentor junior engineers and participate in code & design reviews
- Participate in on-call rotation to rapidly resolve live incidents related to our systems
- Troubleshoot and debug issues with our live and in-development services
- Focus on outcomes, rather than output
- Uphold and promote the Blizzard Core Values
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to our employees. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to champion an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences... ever.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.