Principal Software Engineer - Education
13 days ago
Every day, tens of millions of people come to Roblox to explore, create, play, learn, and connect with friends in 3D immersive digital experiences– all created by our global community of developers and creators.
At Roblox, we’re building the tools and platform that empower our community to bring any experience that they can imagine to life. Our vision is to reimagine the way people come together, from anywhere in the world, and on any device. We’re on a mission to connect a billion people with optimism and civility, and looking for amazing talent to help us get there.
A career at Roblox means you’ll be working to shape the future of human interaction, solving unique technical challenges at scale, and helping to create safer, more civil shared experiences for everyone.
Why Account Identity?
Roblox is expanding the metaverse to include Educational experiences, and we are looking for a Principal Software Engineer to help us build and scale the Education platform! The Education team is building the next chapter of teaching and learning on Roblox, and transforming classroom instruction through collaborative learning experiences. You will report to the Account Identity team and will focus on development of the brand new Education platform, and specifically how accounts and account entitlements inform the user's experience. Student/educator accounts and data handling needs to be compliant with school district requirements, and you will build out the architecture that differentiates treatment of data generated on the education platform. You'll work with a collaborative group of Engineers, Product Managers, and Designers to make Roblox's Education platform a safe tool that both teachers and students love to use in the classroom.
On Roblox, students learn to code, problem solve with friends, and experience faraway places. We want everyone to have access to those opportunities, and our goal is to support 100 million students learning on our platform by 2030.
- A Technical Leader: You have initiated and facilitated challenging technical solutions. Your technical expertise influences product direction. You foster a culture of technical excellence.
- Versatile: You can shift focus and enjoy working outside your comfort zone.
- Analytical: Excited to investigate large, ambiguous problems, and measure the problems and the solutions.
- User Oriented: You always start with the needs of the user, whether they are Roblox users or internal engineers before architecting a solution.
- Team Oriented: You lift up your peers and find ways to make the team stronger. You foster a culture of technical excellence.
- Determine the architecture of Education accounts, and put controls in place to ensure that students and educators have a safe and compliant experience on the Education platform
- Enable students and educators to register and authenticate using their school SSO accounts.
- Collaborate with many internal teams to define strategy for differentiating treatment and storage of data generated on Education platform.
- Identify opportunities to add features that will further improve the toolsets available to developers and educators.
- 8+ years of experience in software development
- 8+ years of experience building and shipping products to production in any domain, such as backend, frontend, or ML.
- 8+ years of experience working on multi-person codebases, including open-source or personal projects
- 5 years experience developing large-scale backend services, production ML systems, or building customer-facing user experiences
Nice to Have:
- 9+ years of experience in software development
- Familiar with Python, C#, TypeScript, Lua, or Go
- Experience using big data query/processing languages and tools such as SQL, Hive, Spark and Airflow
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Applied Math, Physics, Engineering, Statistics, or other technical field
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- Industry-leading compensation package
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Roflex - Flexible and supportive work policy
- Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
- At Roblox HQ:
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
Roblox provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.