Principal Software Developer
Wizards of the Coast
Renton, Washington, United States
4 months ago
For decades, Wizards of the Coast has connected people around the world through play and imagination, with core games that have defined their genres - Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons®. We want to offer more ways to connect and play as the company grows. And that’s where you come in.
As the Principal Software Development Engineer on the Platform team, you will lead development of services, web applications, and SDKs to enable our publishing partners to create connected experiences for our players. Wizards of the Coast is working to become the next big game industry publisher, and the Platform team is working to unify our developers and players into a single ecosystem. You will work with developers who are building online games, supporting both client SDKs and diverse server technologies. You will set the standard for your discipline on the platform team and will partner with other organizations to push technology and engineering forward at Wizards of the Coast.
We are a full stack team and do everything from web to infrastructure and builds. Individuals frequently specialize, but broad familiarity is a must. You will be involved at every stage of application development from architectural design to production support. As a Principal Engineer, you will be expected to act as a technical resource for a team of over a dozen engineers. The ideal candidate for this role has a broad and deep technical vision, excellent communication skills, and high attention to detail.
What You Bring
- 10+ years of software development experience in online services.
- You continually improve your skills, stay abreast of new technologies, and always raise the standard for what is possible on your team.
- Team leadership experience and a passion for mentoring other engineers.
- Ability to navigate technical disagreements with empathy and a focus on trade-offs
- Proven history of delivering online services and solutions for games, either as developer, publisher or other services in that market.
- Experience operating services at scale.
- Deep experience with at least one major public cloud, and understanding of the infrastructure for distributed applications.
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment where you can work on a wide variety of technologies and applications.
- Passion for Wizards of the Coast’s products.
- Enthusiasm for finding win-win scenarios and proactively driving improvement and best practice adoption across the organization.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.