Principal Rendering Engineer
3 months ago
Archetype Entertainment is a new game studio in Austin, Texas led by industry veterans from BioWare and other AAA studios. Archetype is a division of Wizards of the Coast (Hasbro). We are building a development team with world-class talent to create a new science fiction universe for our first multiplatform roleplaying video game.
Our goal is to create the greatest story-driven roleplaying games in the world.
At Archetype, we believe there will always be a place for story-driven roleplaying games that put the player at the center of an epic personal narrative with impactful choices. We also believe that game studios should empower top developers and challenge them with ambitious projects that are shaped by a strong, clearly communicated creative vision.
We chose Austin because it is a great place to live and work. Austin is the capital of Texas and is a fast-growing city with a vibrant music scene, cosmopolitan culture, a world-class university (the University of Texas at Austin -- “Hook ‘em Horns!”), and scenic rolling hills. It was recently voted the #1 place to live in America for the third year in a row — based on affordability, job prospects, and quality of life.
We are seeking a creative Principal Rendering Engineer to join our team. In this role, you will push the boundaries developing groundbreaking rendering systems for our first game. The ideal candidate is an experienced Engineer, with deep knowledge of graphics system for AAA games, who wants to work collaboratively with Artists and other Engineers to build a truly next-gen experience. This role reports to the Technical Director.
What You’ll Do
- Architect and hold the vision for the rendering systems in our first project
- Provide guidance to the art department on how best to achieve their goals in the most efficient and effective manner
- Develop art budgets and target metrics with the Technical Director to ensure our game is always running great
- Profile the game and help fix performance problems
- Build art workflows and tooling
- Evaluate the latest innovations in the field of graphics for our use
- Mentor other Engineers on the team
What You’ll Bring
- 8+ years developing amazing graphics on multiple AAA titles in digital game production
- Advanced understanding of C++ and HLSL
- Extensive experience workings with large multiplatform engines
- Strong mathematical skills
- Initiative to push boundaries and a strong desire to build something outstanding
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Bonus points for Unreal Engine experience
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.