Principal Product Manager: Engine Simulation
6 days ago
Every day, tens of millions of people from around the world come to Roblox to play, learn, work, and socialize in immersive digital experiences created by the community. Our vision is to build a platform that enables shared experiences among billions of users. This is what’s known as the metaverse: a persistent space where anyone can do just about anything they can imagine, from anywhere in the world and on any device. Join us and you’ll usher in a new category of human interaction while solving exceptional challenges that you won’t find anywhere else.
From the early days, simulated physics has been the foundation of the way users build in Roblox. The simulation team continues to be a critical core of the Roblox metaverse, handling everything from how collision detection happens to world steps to modeling tools to AI systems. We fully believe that we provide immersion by simulating physics realistically, accurately, and with theoretical correctness and strive to increase the systems we simulate to increase user immersion.
Furthermore, something that makes simulation at Roblox unique is that we work hard to ensure our systems automatically deliver rich fidelity on high-end systems while elegantly scaling down to still deliver enjoyable and interactive experiences on low-end devices.
As a Principal Product Manager - Simulation, you will have a profound impact on the strategy and vision of how these systems evolve while overseeing day-day execution to deliver that vision.
- Work closely with engineering leadership to own the vision and roadmap for simulation and modeling at Roblox.
- Work across internal teams and with external customers to research, prototype, and define the requirements for fundamental cross-platform, scalable, realtime simulation systems.
- Define the specifications for both low-level and user-facing projects.
- Work closely with UX designers to turn specifications into thoughtful designs.
- Make the day-day decisions that happen during execution to turn specs into shipping products.
- Work with engineering leadership to handle the project management aspects of execution.
- Communicate to other internal stakeholders including executives, engineers, designers, and product team members.
- Interface with our developer community as a key external voice of rendering.
- 7+ years product management or related industry experience, with leadership, organizational, and execution skills; able to balance vision with data.
- Bachelor's degree (or foreign degree equivalent) in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Systems, Analytics, Mathematics, Physics, Applied Sciences, or a related field.
- Experience working in a technical, 3D software environment to drive product vision with engineering, define product requirements, coordinate resources from other groups (design, legal, etc.), and guide the team through key milestones.
- Experience shipping physics/simulation-related products.
- Experience driving delightful user interaction at both the API and UI level.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to express ideas in a form appropriate to the audience, from verbal executive briefing to detailed written specifications to wireframes.
- Experience working in the game development space, virtual worlds/simulation space, film & TV CG/VFX production, or AR/VR space.
- Familiar with tools and systems commonly used for physics and simulation, such as Havok and Houdini.
- Familiar with 3D engines like Unity, Unreal, and Lumberyard (O3DE).
- Familiar with modeling software and techniques, from BSP level editors to SDF-based sculpting tools.
- Familiar with rendering techniques, be it ray tracing, global illumination, or REYES.
- Familiar with UI frameworks, especially declarative ones such as SwiftUI and React.
- Drawn to apps that provide sandboxes to make physics accessible and user-creatable, like The Incredible Machine and Fantastic Contraption.
- Passionate about creating easy-to-use UX, be it an API or tool, for features you own.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- Industry-leading compensation package
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Roflex - Flexible and supportive work policy
- Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
- At Roblox HQ:
- Free catered lunches
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass