Principal Operations Architect
Vancouver British Columbia V6A 4C4 Canada
11 days ago
Job Title:Principal Operations Architect
Want to be responsible for the awesome gaming experience of hundreds of millions of players? How about building a scalable platform that enables key revenue-driving and player engagement features in world-renowned games?
Demonware is an independently-run part of Activision Blizzard, Inc. We run every part of a player’s online experience, from logging in to matchmaking to climbing the leaderboards, for popular video game franchises such as Call of Duty, Crash Bandicoot, and Skylanders.
The work we do together every day impacts almost half a billion players around the world. We solve big company challenges with a small company feel. We are technology-driven with a culture of openness. This means collaborating to solve interesting challenges, enjoying the freedom to talk to anyone, and always feeling respected. We take the work seriously; ourselves, not so much.
Your Role, Your Impact
We are looking for an experienced Principal Operations Architect who can provide input into all areas of service development, ensuring that millions of gamers enjoy a trouble-free experience.
You'll be working directly with other engineers to ensure service design is reliable, scalable and has uptime at its core; automating to prevent issues happening in the first place; debugging problems at scale; and working closely with other departments to ensure that our platform, infrastructure, and product technologies support a sustainable future for the Titles department.
- Lead operational architecture and design for several key technology initiatives
- Drive key strategic technological decisions through influencing senior management, experts, architects and principal peers
- Act as the primary point of contact for cross-ABK projects or services involving online technical operations.
- Experience with programming andr scripting language, e.g. Python, Bash, Ruby, Perl, C/C++, PHP
- Experience with databases: e.g. MySQL, Cassandra, Redis
- Experience in monitoring and metrics systems, e.g. Nagios, Sensu, Graphite, Prometheus
- Experience with configuration management systems, e.g. Ansible, Puppet, Chef, Salt, Terraform
- Experience working with container orchestration e.g. Kubernetes, and/or experience with public cloud providers and cloud technologies e.g. Amazon, GCP
- Experience working at scale is an asset - hundreds or thousands of servers / instances
- Experience implementing robust service orchestration
- Experience working with high-volume, consumer-facing applications
- Experience with load testing and performance optimization best practices
- Experience working with VMs, Linux containers, Docker, and Kubernetes
- Experience working in game economy or social networks
- Instincts for an investigative approach and a curiosity to apply new technologies
- Flexibility and adaptability to changing situations and requirements
- Ownership of initiatives from inception through deployment and sustainment
- Excellence in proactive, open-minded collaboration across teams
What Demonware Offers
Relocation support, 5 weeks of vacation plus 3 bonus days in December, pension, and top-tier medical, dental, and life insurance coverage for you and your dependents.
To find out more, visit: https://demonware.net/careers
Demonware by the numbers
- 469+ million gamers
- 3.2+ million concurrent online gamers
- 100+ games
- 300,000 requests per second at peak
- Average query response time of <.02 second
- 630,000+ metrics a minute
- 132 billion+ API calls per month
As an independent studio that’s part of Activision Blizzard, Inc., Demonware is responsible for developing and running the online services for some of the largest entertainment franchises in the world, including Call of Duty, Crash Bandicoot, and Skylanders. We work side by side with Activision’s game studios to deliver a Games as a Service platform at a massive scale. We ensure those games stay online, 24/7 through peak global launch events and beyond. We have offices in Vancouver, Canada; Dublin, Ireland; and Shanghai, China.