Principal Material Artist
10 days ago
We are looking for a Principal Materials Artist to join our Cloud Chamber Environment team and deliver high-quality AAA visuals. Reporting to the Lead Modeler, the Principal Materials Artist collaborates with other team members, Leads and Directors to create very high-quality assets, materials, and environments.
In this role, you will contribute to carrying forward the artistic vision and use all your expertise to establish the visual bar for the game’s decors for the next installment of the BioShock franchise.
Reporting to the Lead Modeler, the Principal Materials Artist collaborates with other leads and sets the stage for a stunning narrative and systems-driven experience. The Principal Materials Artist communicates effectively and contributes to establishing the visual bar for the game.
- Work side-by-side with Directors and Leads to carry the vision forward. Together we will set the stage for a stunning narrative and system driven experience.
- Your primary responsibility will be the creation of exemplary benchmark materials, shaders and textures. We need you to set the standards and inspire our team!
- Create visually appealing, PBR stylized materials families and materials generators to be use in multiple biomes, props, weapons, and characters. These materials will set a quality bar for both in-house artists and outsourcing partners
- Use your strong knowledge of Unreal Engine 5 and the BioShock franchise to make important foundational choices for the establishment of the Material Library creation pipeline, including look development for the next installment of the BioShock franchise
- Works closely with Art leads to ensure that the quality of the materials, decals and shaders is a match for the quality bar and vision for the game’s direction
- Communicate effectively with team members to ensure consistency and PBR compliance
- Work side by side with Leads to review effectively in-house and outsourcing material artists, while maintaining a positive and collaborative attitude
- Love to share knowledge with other artists, mentoring and documenting improvements of pipelines and processes
- Work very closely with Tech-art to Adapt and streamline a new material creation pipeline and processes, and offer your problem-solving mindset to the team
- Collaborate closely with other Material artists, Environment artists, Weapon artists and Character material artists to prioritize any material needs
- Maintain and organize the material library
- Contribute actively to a positive durable and healthy relationship within the team
- You may also have to play an important role in the broad communications of the studio for everything related to Bioshock materials development, and the decision-making process (GDC or Conventions).
Skills, Experience and Qualifications:
You love FPS games, and PBR-stylized environment is your forte! You enjoy crafting unique and detailed textures and 3D models to enhance that awesome environment concept, and you are naturally excited to learn and continuously improve your skills. You enjoy collaborating with your team, and across the artistic disciplines, you keep in mind metrics and technical requirements. You want to challenge yourself on delivering the best possible looking game for a next gen Bioshock.
- 7+ years of experience as a Texture or Environment Artist
- At least 2 released title on current console generation, preferably AAA
- Strong knowledge of Substance Designer and Painter
- Strong modeling and sculpting skills
- Mastery and excellence with shader networks and procedural texturing for AAA and PBR games
- Ability to work independently with a high level of autonomy
- Familiar with Perforce
- Strong ability to learn new areas of development
- Proven ability to work well within a team atmosphere
- Experience using Unreal Engine 4, Unreal Engine 5 is a big plus
- Excellent time management skills
- Creative problem-solving skills
We are Cloud Chamber : a collaborative team of inspired minds who create games together. We strive to make unique, entertaining, and thoughtful game experiences that engage the world.
We believe in the beauty and strength of diversity, in both the makeup of the studio and the nature of our thinking. Our focus on open communication and overall well-being allows each of us to strive for excellence in our work, and happiness in our lives.
We’re currently making the next BioShock. Our love for this iconic franchise is what brought us together. The thrill and responsibility of creating the next iteration of such a beloved game is what keeps us going.
If all of this sounds as exciting to you as it is to us we’d love to meet you. Join us in creating worlds that move people.
Please note that 2K Games and its studios never use instant messaging apps or personal email accounts to contact prospective employees or conduct interviews. When emailing prospective employees we only use 2K.com accounts.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.