This job might no longer be available.
Principal Lighting Artist
10 days ago
Welcome to Striking Distance Studios!
Striking Distance Studios continues to grow. We are looking for talented developers with experience working on large-scale, live service games to join us in our San Ramon studio.
What we need:
Striking Distance Studios is seeking a talented, motivated, and experienced Principal Lighting Artist who has a passion for quality and drive to collaborate with Environment Artists, VFX artists, and Designers to bring our graphics to the next level. This position will play a key role in the visual development, aspiring to leverage cutting edge technology to produce the best visual and narrative experience. An ideal candidate should have a thorough knowledge of PBR workflow and familiarity in photometric concept, as well as related cross pipeline and workflows.
- Create compelling visuals on environments and characters; cinematics through lighting in Unreal Engine 4 as well as using SDS proprietary lighting tools and a color grading application.
- Research and develop lighting techniques; envision or address tools needs
- Collaborate with Creative Director, Level Designers, VFX and Environment Artists to plan lighting designs that enhances narrative and gameplay.
- Troubleshoot lighting artifacts and optimize lighting setups in order to meet technical limitations
- Communicate with Production to ensure all deadlines are met.
- Set lighting standards, quality targets, and conduct visual prototypes.
- Educate the wider team on lighting principles, ideas and best practices.
- Provide mentorship to lighting team members
- 5+ years industry experience with at least 2 titles shipped on major current gen platforms
- Portfolio should showcase ability to produce compelling visuals through lighting, as well a range of experience with lighting of environments and characters; cinematics.
- Production experience with PBR workflow or excellent understanding of PBR workflow
- Excellent understanding of color and color theory, compositions, material and light in relation to their application in games
- Proactive, self-motivated; able to translate art direction, visual reference or concept effectively into the game with minimum direct supervision
- Able to collaborate with the team leads to achieve solutions that work for all disciplines
- Open to criticism but also possessing an excellent capacity to solve both creative and technical problems.
- Proficiency with Unreal Engine 4 and excellent understanding of tools and development & implementation of lighting systems and post-process effects
- Experience with DaVinci Resolve is a plus