Principal Graphics Engineer - SDK Game Technologies
11 days ago
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Principal Graphics Engineer – SDK Game Technologies
The Platform Software Design Division in London consists of software engineering teams and a test team working on Audio, Graphics, VR and Game Technologies.
We develop innovative technologies that push the boundaries of play, helping game developers make the best game on PlayStation by creating a world class SDK.
As part of the Platform Software Design Division, the SDK Game Technologies team helps developers to use PlayStation platforms in ways that are optimal for their games. We develop tools, libraries, and game-representative environments to analyse platform features and demonstrate advanced, pioneering techniques and technologies.
Working with the Manager of the SDK Game Technologies team, you will play a leading role in defining and delivering pioneering technologies for the global PlayStation developer community.
What you’ll be doing:
- Take an active role in development work (design and implementation)
- Research innovative graphics and game technologies for PS5 and beyond
- Deliver your work to developers and stakeholders both internally and as part of the SDK
- Drive decisions about the technologies with develop and deliver
- Opportunity for mentoring and technical leadership of a small team of engineers
What we're looking for:
- Strong C++ and graphics programming skills, with experience of the latest low-level graphics APIs on PC/console (e.g. DirectX12, Vulkan or platform SDKs for current-generation consoles)
- Good understanding of computer hardware architecture
- Experience of low-level coding, performance analysis and optimization
- Comfortable with shader programming on modern GPUs
- Forward thinking, and keen to be at the forefront of consoles
- Experience of game engine systems (e.g. memory management, task management, streaming)
- Experience working at a senior level in a game development environment
- Experience of current generation console development
- Strong technical background in maths or computer science, educated to at least degree level or with equivalent experience
- Good people skills, and able to mentor more junior members of staff
- Good presentation and communication skills
Nice to have:
- Modern global illumination/raytracing techniques
- Physically based rendering pipelines
- Experience of Virtual Reality specific rendering techniques
- Experience implementing research papers/reports
Benefits of working in the Platform Software team:
- Technology development is not constrained by specific games/engines. There is time and space to research and develop groundbreaking technologies
- Opportunities to work on collaborative projects with R&D teams in Tokyo and in San Mateo, with the wider Sony group, and with academia
- Opportunities to attend relevant conferences (e.g. SIGGRAPH)
- Innovation time for research and projects of your own choosing
- Opportunities to participate in global hackathons
- Relaxed working environment with high level of trust and autonomy. All staff are encouraged to express their views and challenge the status quo
- Discretionary bonus opportunity
- Private Medical Insurance
- Dental Scheme
- London Allowance (if applicable)
- 25 days holiday per year
- On Site Gym
- Subsidised Café
- Free soft drinks
- On site bar
- Access to cycle garage and showers
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.