Principal Gameplay Animator
27 days ago
We are assembling a dream team of exceptional developers with a shared vision for a powerful new game built around the pillars of hope, humor, and human empowerment. We aim to create an industry phenomenon by leveraging our team's proven track record for building narrative-driven sandbox games that create strong emotional engagement through empathy, positivity, and community participation on a global scale. Reaching that potential requires building a singular studio of unique personalities and experiences to create a one-of-a-kind work culture. We love quirks, we embrace oddities, and we trust that our world is extraordinary when it's a little off-beat and a lot unusual. We know the people we are looking for rarely exist in the same place, which is why we are a fully distributed team allowing everyone to work from their home base of choice.
You don’t just love animation; you love game animation and the complex challenges and rewards it brings.
As Principal Gameplay Animator, you will report to the Animation Director, and help an enthusiastic and experienced team ship the first installment of a weird, creatively ambitious, and technically challenging new IP. You will be responsible for animating, implementing, and maintaining core animation systems for the gameplay. You are a methodical creative, ensuring stability while testing big ideas. You will help set technical standards and exemplify best practices and a high-quality bar. You will be a close collaborator and reliable colleague for all departments. You’ll be doing work from the highest to the lowest levels of the process.
At our distributed studio, employees have the freedom to work and live where they want! Because of this, we require all our candidates to be self-starters with strong virtual communication skills.
(When you apply, please provide a link to your demo reel. A cover letter that tells us a little about your influences and career is a plus, but it is not required.)
- Work with Animation, Art and Design to develop a signature IP animation style.
- Create animations for both humans and creatures across all features.
- Co-own the Animation Blueprint and Data Structure in the Unreal engine with Tech Art and Engineering.
- Own large animation features from setting keyframes to building systems to tuning to testing.
- Advise and exemplify best practices for animation workflows and tool sets.
- Explore workflow and pipeline improvements to empower a smaller team to do more.
- Advise and inform hiring for other animation positions.
- Demonstrates excellent character keyframing skills.
- Has deep knowledge of Unreal and an ability to create animations which leverage and coordinate with Unreal's animation pipeline: Animation Blueprints, Animation Layers, Physical Animations, etc.
- Loves the craft of game animation and the storytelling opportunities unique to it.
- Possesses a critical eye for timing and telegraphing of key gameplay moments.
- Seeks to develop efficient solutions to animation problems and toolsets.
- Highly reliable teammate: answers messages in a timely manner, keeps team informed on work updates, gives thoughtful feedback and estimates.
- Works with a high degree of autonomy and motivation.
- Comfortable with ambitious creativity on a small, highly talented team.
- Rigging experience
- Experience with cameras / cinematography
- Experience with / or open to Mentoring
- Python / C++
- Close vision to monitors and screens, consistently working on computer equipment such as keyboards and monitors, lengthy periods of sitting.
- Reasonable accommodation will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Crop Circle Games is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, marital status, medical condition(s), national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other characteristics protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances, or common human decency.