Principal Game Designer - Systems (Narrative Adventure)
12 days ago
A visionary game development studio founded in 2012, Firesprite builds innovative showcase titles for PlayStation platforms as part of the PlayStation Studios family.
Would you enjoy the freedom to create AAA games working from anywhere in the UK, including our Liverpool studio?
We're looking for a Principal Game Designer on dark, narrative driven blockbuster title with genre defining goals. This highly ambitious project takes atmosphere, narrative and player agency firmly into ground-breaking territory on next-generation Unreal 5 & hardware technologies.
As an experienced member of the design team, you will be responsible for prototyping, documenting and then developing key gameplay features and systems from initial concept to final delivery. This role includes hands-on implementing of feature prototypes and ongoing implementation work within UE5, using Blueprint and other Unreal tools to deliver high-quality engine content. Additionally, as Feature Owner you will be responsible for cross-team communication and feature quality, working collaboratively with other disciplines through documentation, direct cooperation, and review.
As Principal, you are expected to deliver a high-level of expertise in your field and serve as both mentor and example to more junior members of the team. You will be expected to proactively identify opportunities to add new features and improve existing ones, and work independently to deliver in those areas.
This is a great opportunity for an ambitious individual looking for their next challenge giving you a chance to make major contributions to the gameplay and supporting systems, improve the quality of the product, and see the game through to launch.
- Working with Game Directors and Design Leads, identify features and systems needed to deliver the game vision, and to enhance it.
- Prototype new features and systems using Blueprint, Sequencer, and other Unreal tools.
- Working with Game Directors and Design Leads, evaluate and iterate on prototypes to develop features and ensure that they match the creative vision.
- Document and communicate the prototype learnings and the feature goals to communicate them within the design team, and to a cross-discipline feature team.
- Work alongside members of other disciplines to develop the features and systems from initial prototype to a robust and well-balanced implementation.
- Work with Level Designers and other content implementors to deploy and tune new features and systems within game content.
- Accurately plan your work.
- Provide expert-level advice and feedback on systems and features throughout the game, both in the early prototypes and throughout the development cycle.
- Ability to deliver high-quality work that fits the direction and vision of the Game Directors.
- Strong knowledge of Unreal 5, including Blueprint, Sequencer, and Animation Blueprints.
- Excellent communication and collaborative skills, alongside members of all other disciplines.
- A creative but pragmatic approach to solving problems and improving quality.
- Friendly and approachable personality with energetic and positive attitude.
- Commitment to delivering the very best player experience.
- Pro-active communication.
- Working knowledge of Agile development.
- A background that demonstrates technical and communication skills.
- Strong professional game development experience in gameplay systems design.
Additional Desirable Skills:
- Good knowledge of industry standard packages (MS Office, Jira, Perforce etc).
- Experience in narrative-driven games.
- Familiarity with the needs of cinematic gameplay.
- Private Healthcare Plan
- Bonus Scheme
- Enhanced Holiday Allowance
- Pension Plans
- Work From Home
- Training & Development
- Employee Assistance Programme - Counselling
Firesprite is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We welcome and encourage applications from all suitable applicants regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.