Principal Game Designer (3Cs)
16 days ago
We build ground-breaking games and content for some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Sega. Sheffield is our largest studio and headquarters, situated just north-east of the city centre, where we’ve built and contributed to some of the world’s best-loved game franchises.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
The role @ Sumo
Sumo Sheffield is looking for a talented Principal Designer to guide the character, controls and camera development for an ambitious third-person action title.
In your new role you will:
- Take ownership of the player character mechanics, controls and gameplay camera behaviours
- Work closely with the Lead Gameplay Programmer and Lead Animator to prototype, develop and refine the character mechanics, controls and camera behaviours to deliver industry-leading quality
- Collaborate with other departments to help develop gameplay systems that complement the core character mechanics
- Author and maintain detailed design documentation
- Help to scope and schedule the development of your features
To be successful you will have:
- Experience of designing character mechanics, controls and camera behaviours for a published, AAA, 3rd person action title
- 5+ years industry experience in a game design role
- A collaborative mindset when approaching design and implementation problems.
- A genuine passion for games
It would be an advantage if you also had:
- Programming or visual scripting experience
- Unreal Engine 4 experience
- Experience of designing with accessibility in mind
- An interest in cinematography
What We Offer:
· Annual Bonus
· Share Incentive Plan
· Competitive Pension
· Flexible Working
· 27 Days Holiday, including your birthday. a duvet day and Christmas
· 5 Learning Days
· Access to 4,000 Udemy Courses
· Game & Book Libraries
· Wrap Parties
· Alternative Travel Prize Draw
· The Sumo GameJam
· Big Family Events
· Studio clubs, inc. running, board games, film…
· Life Drawing
· Yoga Classes
· Free fruit and drinks
· Employee Referral Bonus
· Career Development
· Competitive Mat/Paternity & Adoption
· Employee Assistance Programme
· Life Assurance 4x Salary
· Income Protection of 75%
· Relocation Support to the UK
· Visa Sponsorship
Where do we stand on diversity?
At Sumo Digital, we know that diversity and inclusivity will make our teams (and the amazing work that they do) better! We encourage and welcome ALL applications.
More About The Sumo Sheffield Studio:
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, the National Video Game Museum, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.