This job might no longer be available.
Principal Character Technical Artist
12 days agoABOUT FIREWALK™
At Firewalk, our mission is to spark incredible multiplayer experiences that inspire memorable moments. We’re building a world-class, next-generation game studio where people come first. For us, setting a high-quality bar, creating something extraordinary, and treating each other with trust and respect go hand-in-hand. Our collaborative team of amazing creators are crafting new worlds that ignite imagination and connection. Join us to deliver awesome gaming entertainment, rooted in strong gameplay and inspiring art that captures the joy of playing together.
We are currently working on an unannounced, original multiplayer game that is being published by our partners at Sony Interactive Entertainment. We’re actively looking to add visionary creators who thrive in an environment where the “status quo” just won’t do and who genuinely want to be part of a collaborative, inclusive, and respectful team.
Firewalk is proud to be part of the ProbablyMonsters family of studios who recently raised $250 million to secure our future and our team with the benefits of a long-lasting career.
We are looking for a Character Tech Artist to help fill a critical role of creating and maintaining our tools and pipeline for character rigging, deformation, and animation.
WHO YOU ARE
WHAT YOUR DAY MIGHT LOOK LIKE
- You are a tech artist with experience rigging characters for a production, supporting other teams, and developing and maintaining pipelines.
- You aren’t afraid to solve technical production issues and enjoy collaborating with engineering, design, and art to achieve project goals.
- Skin and rig characters, weapons, vehicles, and props
- Develop and maintain modeling, rigging, and animation tools and pipelines
- Communicate with and support other production teams, mainly Modeling and Animation
- Manage mesh export/import process, setup and maintain skeletal meshes in engine
- Author and maintain additional character systems, including cloth, hair, muscles, etc
- Develop and maintain pipelines for procedural animation features, dynamics, and other technical animation systems
- Production experience as a Character Technical Artist/Character TD/Rigger
- Experience working with one or more industry-standard engines, such as UE4
- Strong experience and knowledge of Maya character rigging, tools, workflow
- Good working knowledge of Python, experience authoring and maintaining production tools
- Experience with Jira and/or Shotgrid
Our commitment to you
- In-depth knowledge of Maya data-driven rigging principles, deformer methods and utilities, animation systems
- In-depth knowledge of Python, PyMel, Qt Designer, and a good grasp of code fundamentals and best practices for a strong, easy-to-maintain codebase
- In-depth knowledge of Unreal Engine, specifically character- and animation-focused systems: Control Rig, Animation Blueprints, Anim Dynamics, Cloth simulation, Hair systems, Runtime Retargeting
- Working knowledge of other content creation software, such as Blender, Houdini, 3DSMax, ZBrush, Substance, Unity, etc.
- Working knowledge of other scripting or programming languages, such as XML or C++
ABOUT PROBABLYMONSTERS™ STUDIOS
- A people-first culture founded on respect, trust, approachability, and accountability.
- A stable home that values your potential, deeply cares about your work-life balance, and is committed to investing in your craft and long-term career.
- Competitive benefits package including health and family benefits, employee assistance program, flexible and paid time off, financial benefits and professional and personal development.
ProbablyMonsters Studios is a developer-led independent game company. Our mission is to unite, guide, and empower talented teams to create exceptional original games. We have built a sustainable development process that is committed to providing our teams the resources and creative environment needed to foster stable, rewarding, and life-long careers.
While each of our studios has a unique identity built around the type of gamer experience they are creating, all of them are bonded by the core values of respect, trust, accountability, and approachability.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.