This job might no longer be available.
Physic programmer - internship 4 or 8 months
Montreal QC ca
11 days ago
About La Forge
La Forge bridges academia and video game production, bringing together scholars and industry experts to facilitate technical prototyping based on the latest academic progress. Together, we explore subjects such as rendering, animation, AI, audio, and physics to tackle some of the biggest challenges in art and tech in gaming. Dedicated to innovation, we aim to accelerate research and development through prototyping to help content creators build increasingly believable worlds and better understand our players.
The incumbent will be responsible for designing, implementing and evaluating optimization techniques used in simulating dynamical systems.
The intern will be working on sampling-based optimization methods, modeling the nonlinear physical systems, specifically fluid simulation (smoke/fire).
The focus will be on numerical methods involving large sets of data and solving regression problems (machine learning).
The goal is to build and integrate a fast physics-based fluid simulation in video games with a satisfying level of physical plausibility.
What you'll do
- Implement algorithms from the state-of the-art mechanics and computer animation literature;
- Setup experiments to evaluate such algorithms and refine them;
- Report on the results to the team, through written analyses and oral presentations;
- Profile and optimize the implementations;
- Keep track of advances in relevant research communities, in terms of algorithms, software libraries and hardware;
- Identify new opportunities of applying such implementations to video games;
- Program in a structured manner, respecting performance, maintenance, compatibility and portability requirements;
- Document the work for knowledge transfer purposes and allow users (from other fields) to understand how to use the new systems and functionality.
University degree, Bachelors, Masters or PhD in at least of one of the following fields:
- Applied Math and/or Physics;
- Computer Science.
The knowledge of any of the following topics will make a strong candidate:
- Machine Learning (experience with Deep Learning is a plus);
- Simulation and Control of Dynamical systems;
- Computer Graphics.
The intern needs to be familiar with at least one software package/language from each of the following two categories:
A. Python, Tensorflow, PyTorch (for implementing the optimization techniques);
B. C++, Shading Languages (HLSL, GLSL).
- Good analytical and summarizing skills;
- Solid basis in mathematics;
- Problem-solving skills;
- Autonomous and resourceful;
- Attention to details;
- Flexible in the context of work;
- Very good interpersonal communication;
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Ability to adapt to change;