Programmer - Online (C++)
3 months ago
Blackbird Interactive is looking for a passionate and experienced programmer to join our team to be a key part of our engineering backbone working on an exciting and innovative IP.
Do you love working in low level code, optimization, and being one of the developers of the core game engine? This position will work with our Lead Engine Programmer to ensure that the game is supported by the platforms on which it will ship.
Do you love working with a talented team of designers, artists and programmers to create ambitious in-game content? You will be part of a high performing team who can rapidly prototype ideas and develop dazzling solutions to challenging problems. You will have a collaborative approach and be directly involved in the day to day decision making and ship a high quality game.
- Contribute to all areas of client-side online development in a modern C++ game engine
- Develop architecture, systems and features to support multiplayer gameplay on multiple platforms (PC, console)
- Integrate backend service solutions such as player stats, leaderboards and achievements
- Apply and grow your domain of expertise
- Interact with other engineers to improve the whole technical team and process
- Collaborate with design and technical teams to define requirements and iteratively build solutions
- Jump wholeheartedly into learning new technologies and systems and leverage them in creative ways to meet our technical and business needs
- Assess requirements and provide effort estimates to guide an evolving development plan
- Embrace and help improve our engineering practices for solid design, testing, and implementation
- 5+ years of game development on shipped products
- Experience with online multiplayer development
- Strong understanding of C++
- Self direction and a proven ability to thrive in a highly dynamic environment
- Strong interdisciplinary collaboration skills, including verbal and written skills
- Experience shipping AAA games
- Experience with Unity 3D, Unreal, or other similar full-featured game engines
- Console development experience
- Demonstrated passion for games and technology.
At Blackbird, we're all about being true to our roots. We started small in our CEO's garage, and even though we're expanding, our desire is to stick to that foundation of creativity, community, and collaboration. Our team has proved that great ideas can come from any position in any discipline, so it's important to us to make sure every voice is heard.
Work/life balance is extremely important to us, and we've demonstrated that over the years by severely limiting over-time requirements. We want people to be happy about coming to work every day, and to that end we offer lots of opportunities for growth and development; whether it's lunch and learns, team events, or our generous vacation days, paid holiday closure and flexible schedules. We also try to provide every opportunity possible for our employees to spearhead R&D initiatives through our BlackOps program. In short, don't expect to feel like a cog in a machine working for BBI.
Due to COVID-19, applicants must be eligible to work in Canada, or currently in Canada on a work permit/visa. With the exception of specifically on-site roles, all roles will commence as a work-from-home arrangement. This arrangement will be revisited as COVID-19 government regulations are eased.
Please send a cover letter with your resume and application. If applying for an artistic role, please provide a link to your portfolio and/or demo reel.
If you are interested in the role, please apply even if your experience and skills don’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. BBI does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.