21 days ago
About Splash Damage
We believe that games play better with friends. For more than 20 years, we’ve been creating team-based multiplayer experiences that have entertained tens of millions of players all over the world and forged countless new friendships along the way.
Our studio culture is rooted in our open, friendly, and collaborative environment. Our games are made by people from all over the world, from our entry-level Fresh Talent hires to industry veterans, and we believe that fostering that diverse culture is the best way to build both our games and our studio. We have won numerous awards, including a ‘World-Class’ accreditation by Best Companies and being named one of the UK’s 100 Best Large Companies to work for.
Our offices are based in Bromley, UK.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package for you and your family, including:
- 4-day work week
- Electric car salary sacrifice scheme
- Season ticket loans to help with the cost of travel
- Substantial performance-related pay system on top of your basic compensation, along with enhanced pension contributions and our life assurance scheme
- Bespoke VISA and relocation packages for you and your family, with support from our team throughout the whole process
- 25 days of holiday and 8 Bank Holidays a year, plus our annual studio closure between Christmas and New Year’s
- Private Medical and Dental Cover for you and your family, along with a 24/7 digital GP service
- Extensive Mental Health support, with Line Manager Mental Health training, a group of Mental Health First-Aiders, and on-site or remote counselling
- Our bespoke Learning and Development course framework to help you grow as an employee, manager, and leader
- Industry-leading fully paid 30 weeks maternity leave & 10 weeks paternity leave
At Splash Damage, we create multiplayer combat games that champion team play and promote lifelong friendships. Members of the Online Engineering team at Splash Damage are responsible for implementing online service features within a multiplayer environment. We work closely with other disciplines to help them realise their ideas through rapid prototyping and iterative agile development.
As an Online Engineer, you will help plan and deliver game features, with help from the rest of the team. You will learn how to make effective use of state machines, asynchronous programming, and restful services to build robust and performant online systems.
You excel at
- Working with members of multiple disciplines to effectively elicit requirements and translate them into technical designs.
- Following Online Engineering and Project Best Practices.
- Working effectively in open and collaborative environments.
- Employing a can-do attitude to solve difficult problems.
- Writing clear, maintainable, and portable code.
- Communicating ideas, intent, and constraints to both technical and non-technical team members.
- Practical knowledge of C++, within Unreal Engine
- The ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical team members.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to self-organise.
- The people skills to work collaboratively within a team.
- Experience implementing gameplay features.
- An interest in building online features such as matchmaking, parties, leaderboards, and meta-game systems.
Even better if you have
- Experience working in all phases of game development, from feature design and implementation to bug-fixing.
- Experience developing online services using Steamworks, PlayStation Network or Xbox Live.
- Professional development experience with real-time networked multiplayer games.
- Professional Unreal Engine 5 development experience.
- Experience developing for PlayStation 5 and/or Xbox One.
- Experience profiling and optimising code for optimal CPU, memory, and bandwidth usage.
- Experience writing plugins or tooling for Unreal Engine.
- Experience with Unreal Engine automation and testing frameworks.
Splash Damage is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.