This job might no longer be available.
Object Modeler - Maxis
24 days ago
Object Modeler - Maxis
Locations: Remote eligible for most of North America
Welcome to Maxis, home to tinkerers, craftspeople, & storytellers. Our drive is to inspire everyone to make a better world through creative play. As the developer of the Sims, we create games and experiences for millions of people around the world and are always looking for new ways to inspire our players. Maxis is a place where you can do what you love and help others grow while doing it; a place where your unique voice can be heard and seen. We put creativity and inclusivity at the core of our work and don’t settle for seeing the world only as it is, but strive to build a world as it could be. Read on to see how you can join our team and dream big.
Maxis is looking for an experienced artist to join our creative team and help establish the look for our architecture, furniture, machinery, vehicles, and vegetation. You will work in a fast-paced development environment and collaborate with cross-disciplinary teams using development processes and best practices of a major game studio. You will use your modeling experience to produce high-quality art with consistency and efficiency.
You will report to the Development Director of the Creative team.
- Create models and textures that meet project quality standards with guidance from senior modelers and art direction to establish visual targets for project prototyping
- Collaborate with multiple development disciplines, including non-art specific groups to improve assets.
- Write documentation and communicate project requirements to onboarding artists
- Adapt process to suit the technical and aesthetic needs of the project
- 3+ years of production experience as an object modeler
- At least one shipped title in the role of modeling or equivalent on current-generation console, PC, or mobile
- Proficient in industry standard software like Maya, ZBrush, Substance Painter/Designer and Photoshop
- A solid understanding of PBR fundamentals
- Understanding of composition, materials, color, and lighting
- An understanding of balancing art quality and performance optimizations
- Clear, concise and transparent communicator - both written and verbal
- Time management skills with the ability to implement efficiently
Nice to have:
- Technical skills with experience implementing assets, environment lighting and materials in Unreal Engine 4
- Knowledge in procedural asset creation process
- Digitally sculpt/model and texture with a stylized look
You must submit a portfolio illustrating examples of 3D hard surface/soft surface modeling and texturing skills to be considered for this role.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.