Narrative Systems Designer - Insomniac Games
1 day ago
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Insomniac Games is looking for a Narrative Systems Designer to join our design team. The Narrative Systems Designer is responsible for the creative implementation of dialogue and working to maximize and improve our narrative systems. Using their technical expertise, this person will plan timing, script dialogue logic, and help to create character and mission arcs by weaving recorded lines into compelling performances. This role works closely with writers, dialogue coordinators, and designers to bring game stories to life with natural-sounding delivery.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
• Implements dialogue logic to express the story for an engaging player experience
• Evaluates mission designs to determine dialogue sequence and timing
• Evaluates written scripts to identify opportunities for connective lines
• Coordinates placeholder dialogue recording with the dialogue team
• Scripts placeholder dialogue
• Provides guidance during dialogue recording sessions
• Manages the database of recorded mission dialogue
• Scripts conditional logic for dialogue
• Identifies opportunities to express the story effectively with gameplay voice-over
• Evaluates line frequency and content to ensure coverage for player training, mission setup and payoff, character arcs, and player comprehension
• Responds to user research, internal review, and team review data to ensure good story comprehension
• Maintains up-to-date dialogue and scripting throughout production
• Addresses bugs to ensure a stable and polished final product
• Provides constructive feedback on all aspects of the dialogue pipeline
• Other duties may be assigned
Education and/or Experience:
• Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university; or two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Intermediate knowledge and experience with level editing tools and scripting (Unreal Engine, Unity, or similar editors)
• Intermediate knowledge of Maya or other major 3D modeling program a plus
• Proficient with Final Draft and/or other screenwriting software
• Proficient with the Microsoft Office Suite
Other Skills: Practical knowledge of the principles of design, writing, and performance. Strong written and verbal communication skills. Must be able to present ideas clearly and work well within a large team environment.
If this sounds like the opportunity you've been waiting for, please submit your resume and application below. We look forward to reviewing your submission.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information , including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information , including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.