6 days ago
We build ground-breaking games and content for some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Sega. Sheffield is our largest studio and headquarters, situated just north-east of the city centre, where we’ve built and contributed to some of the world’s best-loved game franchises.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
Sumo Sheffield is made up of a diverse mix of fantastic people, although sometimes, some groups are still under-represented. We are working to remove obstacles that can make it difficult for those groups to progress their careers in the games industry. We welcome applications from under-represented people in the gaming industry, including, but not limited to BAME, LGBQT+, women, people with physical disabilities, neurodiversity or mental health issues, and parents or carers.
The role @ Sumo
Sumo Sheffield is looking for a Narrative Game Designer to join our talented design team on an exciting new title!
Within this role you will:
- Design and deliver game narrative
- Establish high-level themes and narrative arcs
- Be able to inject Pixar/Illumination style humour into dialog and level scenarios
- Write game dialogue, voice overs and supporting narrative content
- Work with other designers to ensure your work supports the central game design
- Report directly to a senior designer, who together with the lead designer and design director will provide feedback for you to deliver on the game vision.
You will need to have:
- Narrative design experience on at least one published title
- A strong grasp of storytelling principles
- Understanding a range of narrative design techniques
- An appreciation of game and level design techniques
- A positive and constructive approach to both giving and receiving feedback, not just within your own specialty but across the entire game
- Excellent Communicator, both in verbally and in writing
- Have a massive passion for making great games
What We Offer:
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays and flexible working hours. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, the National Video Game Museum, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.