This job might no longer be available.
Narrative Designer - Overwatch 2
Irvine, CA, United States
3 months ago
Soldiers, scientists, adventurers, oddities…designers? We are the Overwatch team, passionate gamers at heart, and we’re looking for an experienced narrative designer to help us make Overwatch 2 - the globe-spanning sequel to Blizzard Entertainment’s acclaimed team-based game.
As part of the design team, your day to day responsibilities will include dialogue writing, game engine scripting, and general story development. The position requires a balance between creative writing, and extensive technical knowhow. A strong background in game scripting with Blueprint, Lua, or other scripting languages will be critical. Some exposure to VO system design is also heavily recommended.
The ideal candidate is an accomplished game developer that can demonstrate their experience working with complex voice systems in AAA games. This includes writing scripted mission dialogue, writing hero dialogue, pacing out gameplay to help tell story, and contributing to the overall story vision of a franchise. This is a highly collaborative position and will require working with all disciplines to help define how story integrates with gameplay.
The narrative designer will also be responsible for attending the VO sessions to ensure that their vision is being properly communicated to the voice actor. Prior VO session guidance and direction is ideal.
COVID-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
- Write and iterate on compelling dialogue for heroes and missions.
- Help to maintain the vision of the Overwatch universe.
- Collaborate with designers and engineers to deliver on a narrative vision.
- Write hero voice lines that quickly and concisely convey the gameplay of the moment.
- Create a mission structure that identifies narrative beats and plot lines to support the story.
- Work with Tools teams to improve writing workflows and processes.
- Successfully guide VO studio sessions.
- Have a passion for interactive storytelling.
- 4+ years of industry experience as a narrative designer/story developer.
- Scripting experience with text or visual scripting languages
- At least one shipped AAA game title in a writing or game design role
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Technically proficient in game editors to implement work into the mission and maps.
- Able to act independently on writing tasks
- Excellent organizational skills and able to work well under deadlines
- Work and thrive in a collaborative team environment
- Knowledge of current successful intellectual properties in today’s popular culture
- Plays and has knowledge of modern video games
- Experience in game design and or level design
- Experience writing branching and non-linear dialogue for games
- VO system design
- Successfully published writing work (novels, short fiction, film, television, comics)
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Links or attachments of writing samples/portfolio (preferred)
- Cover Letter (preferred)
- Resume (required)
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Job Status: Full-Time
Primary Location: United States-CA-Irvine
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.