13 days ago
The Molasses Flood is looking for a Narrative Director to oversee both the creative and technical aspects of storytelling for our next title, a brand new adventure set in The Witcher universe.
You will work with the Creative Director and other leads to shape the stories we tell and champion our narrative goals. You will also help communicate Narrative Department needs for proprietary tools and technology developed within The Molasses Flood so the team can best construct these stories.
This is a leadership position, and will involve hiring and managing a team of narrative designers and writers, as well as working across all disciplines to ensure that our creative decisions remain faithfully grounded in the world of The Witcher. You will also work closely with production to develop and drive a narrative production plan. We’re entering an exciting new chapter in our development, and would love for you to help shape the way we grow!
This is a full-time salaried position, reporting to the Creative Director. This job could be performed either working a hybrid model out of our office in the greater Boston area, or remote within the contiguous US states. Relocation assistance is available for moving to the Boston area. All staff works a schedule aligned to US eastern time, regardless of US location.
- Manage the writing and narrative processes both vertically within the narrative department and horizontally across all departments
- Evolve our storytelling technology and proprietary narrative scripting engine. Work with engineering to ensure that the writing team has all the tools it needs to tell great stories
- Understand the work that has been done so far on the project and determine the best way to carry it to completion
- Oversee all aspects of the narrative process from developing storylines and delivery mechanisms to handling our localization pipeline
- Build style guides and best practices that can be used by the writing team and those who need to directly collaborate with them
- Work closely with production to generate a solid narrative production plan, and track our progress
- Coordinate writers and narrative designers both internally and externally in conjunction with production
- Look at where our tools and designs allow us to tell stories across different bands of interactivity
- Get your hands dirty: we expect everyone including leads to be hands on within their respective field, using the tools, and leading by example
- Experience in a senior/lead writing or narrative role on a game
- Experience working on games with cinematic storytelling and voiced dialogue
- Candidates must have a US work permit or citizenship
- The ability to communicate narrative and creative needs for tools and pipelines to engineers
- Curiosity, kindness, and a genuine love of lifting up your team, mentoring, and creating a positive creative work environment for those around you to grow in
NICE TO HAVES:
- Familiarity with text-based narrative tools such as Ink, Inform7, or Yarn Spinner
- Unreal Engine 4 or 5 experience
- Familiarity with branching and non linear storytelling
- Experience with scripting tools and familiarity with programming tools
- Experience with collaborating across time zones
- Experience communicating with multiple partners on an established IP
The expected annual salary range for this position is $130,000 - $160,000 USD, negotiable. Salary offered will be based upon a number of factors, including but not limited to: skill set, years and quality of experience, and suitability for the role.
- 100% company paid medical, dental, and vision plans available - for employees and dependents
- 401K with matching
- Company paid long & short term disability plans, and life insurance
- Profit sharing plan
- Unlimited PTO and flexible schedule
- Environmental company paid offset of employees’ carbon footprint via Wren.co
- Some positions available for Remote work
- Positions worked in office are hybrid: M/W/F work from home & T/Th work in office, with lunch provided on the in office days
- Dog friendly office
- Many opportunities for advancement as our team grows and takes on new challenges
The Molasses Flood is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to embracing and celebrating diverse thoughts and backgrounds throughout our organization. Employment at The Molasses Flood is based on ability – not an individual’s race, creed, color, religion, sex or gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, status as a victim of domestic violence or sex offenses, reproductive health decisions, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
CA Candidates: TMF abides by all policies set forth in the CCPA/CPRA. For more information, please contact HR or visit the California Privacy Protection Agency website: https://cppa.ca.gov/
The Molasses Flood is the newest member of the CD PROJEKT group, and is located in Boston, MA. We were founded by industry veterans in 2014, and since then have created The Flame in the Flood and Drake Hollow. We’re currently working on an ambitious and exciting new project and are growing our team across all departments. We value every voice on the team, open communication and transparency, and run a studio based on mutual respect and kindness between all members and levels of the team. If this sounds like the type of team you’d like to be a part of, we encourage you to apply. If you require any specific accommodations as part of our application process, please let us know so we can try to provide for your needs.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.