18 days ago
Jagex is currently hiring for a Mid-Level Java Engineer to work on developing and maintaining our tools/infrastructure that improve Games Operations functionality.
We are looking for an Engineer who is comfortable with using Java or a similar language, knows how to perform queries on SQL and ideally has experience with AWS. Any experience of handling legacy systems would also be an advantage but not essential. We are particularly interested in Engineers who have experience with mentoring and can take the lead on projects.
Please note: We will happily accept applications from Engineers who don't have previous gaming experience.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Builds software and services allowing for continuous integration and delivery as well as browser-agnostic user interfaces.
- Maintains and supports live systems, tools, and infrastructure within the Game Ops domain through regular deployment of updates and fixes.
- Proven track record of writing clean and maintainable code, following best practices to produce solutions that demonstrate significant improvements in quality, performance, stability and scalability.
- Offer effective technical advice and support to further the continual improvement of internal and external workflows while maintaining excellent velocity.
- Drives technical discussion and design, owning medium to large features from technical design to completion.
- Proactively champions the benefits of rapid prototyping to achieve business and collective goals and engage team members and other stakeholders.
- Works on higher complexity tasks within the sprint backlog, delegating to load balance their work where necessary, while using it as an opportunity to skill up others.
- Working with product leadership to ensure the right decisions are made on project delivery, managing risk, minimising re-work and defects.
- Recognised as an expert in one or more areas by their peers, collective, and company leadership for contributions towards the most pressing and highest priority business challenges.
- Leads large, strategic, complex engineering projects – often across collective boundaries.
- Proactively proposes engineering strategy for within their Collective/Discipline and knows how to effectively get buy in and move this forward.
- Works with or develops enterprise level solutions.
- Encourages agile theory, principles and values within their collective.
- Demonstrates best practices and are a role model to others for thorough testing, review and documentation.
- Regularly challenges others to have a greater sense of urgency for company priorities.
- Steps up to lead and influence others when required, even if not explicitly asked of them.
- Receives little instruction on day-to-day work, and proactively sponsors, mentors, and helps to level-up more senior engineers.
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
- Flexible Working
- Bonus Scheme
- Private Health Care
- Gym Membership
- Monthly Energy Allowance
- Generous Pension Contributions
- Life Insurance
- Free Cycle Repair
- Income Protection
- Dental Plan
- Free Fruit and Drinks
- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application!
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.