Material Artist - DUNE
11 days ago
From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 29-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 400 people located in 5 studios - Norway, the US, Portugal, Sweden, a newly opened Romania studio. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Your Mission in Funcom
As a Material Artist, you will have a big impact on the overall look and feel of the game. You will handle a diverse range of tasks including both creation of textures and materials themselves and collaboration with Technical Artists and various stakeholders across the production.
In this role, you are a skilled Material Artist, always ready for a new challenge, and have a very strong proactiveness for problem-solving within the pipeline that arises.
How you can have an impact in your position:
- Creation of the highest quality textures & materials using Substance Suite
- Collaborate look development with Technical Artists with developing advanced shaders, smart materials, and tileable textures
- Oversee, maintain, and build our developing material library
- Write and maintain technical documentation to support your own developments, as well as for other project-wide implementations and pipelines
- Provide guidance and assistance to the Art Team as they develop and implement their work throughout the games pipelines
- Stay up to date on best practices to keep up with the latest next-gen industry standards
We are looking for someone that has:
- Minimum 3 years of commercial production experience in a similar Art role, with a portfolio of AAA quality materials
- Strong skills in Substance Designer
- Broad knowledge & experience with Zbrush, Photoshop and other 3D software packages
- Strong understanding of latest games art fundamentals of PBR rendering, materials, lighting, post-processing, and pipeline developments
- Great communication, self-driven organization, and time management skills with the ability to help mentor your colleagues
- Bachelor/Undergraduate degree or equivalent
In addition, the perfect candidate has:
- Proven experience working with Unreal Engine
- Understanding of the more technical aspects of games development
- Keen interest in playing games and game development beyond art
We evaluate candidates on an ongoing basis and recommend candidates to apply as soon as possible!
Please apply in English.
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology, and heavily value the importance of work-life balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
Funcom Lisbon has a full-range development studio situated in Lisbon, the sunny capital of Portugal, in an area with famous cafés and sights near the river. The Lisbon team consists of roughly 80 people from more than 20 nationalities.
Funcom Lisbon offers challenging and interesting work, flexible schedules, relocation assistance, health insurance, meal allowance, gym discounts, social events, and a long list of other benefits. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family, with skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games.
We have a diverse, dynamic, inclusive , challenging and engaging culture, with a basis of continued training and career development opportunities, and w e encourage candidates from all walks of life to apply. Come join us in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.