Marketing Lead - Boom Beach: Frontlines
13 days ago
Boom Beach: Frontlines is a collaboration between Space Ape Games and Supercell.
Hundreds of millions of people have played Boom Beach since it’s release in 2014, making it one of the biggest mobile gaming brands in the world. After a series of successful invite only alpha tests, we’re now looking for a Marketing Lead to steer and guide the community and the game team through the next phase: soft launch.
Throughout the multi-year development we’ve been fortunate to receive amazing and inspiring feedback from a passionate community of players who are eagerly anticipating the launch of this next chapter in the Boom universe. This includes an active 50k strong discord channel, a passionate group of content creators who’s videos from the short play tests have already been watched by millions of fans.
You need to be a seasoned marketer and community builder who cares deeply about the players, people and brands. Experience with all aspects of marketing, from brand, to digital performance, community management, content creators and managing games as a service is essential. Above all you are a strategic, long term visionary and think of the games you help create as experiences that will bring delight and belonging for a community of players for decades, not just years. Not only do you understand how to market games globally but, more importantly, you are good at inspiring marketers and talented game developers to push themselves to raise their own - already high - bars and work collectively to make complex marketing and development decisions.
You are a great communicator and collaborator, both within the team and across teams and are confident working with external platform partners and stakeholders within Supercell and Space Ape, media, agencies and outsourcers.
You are not content taking a finished game and finding eyeballs and installs, spending a large UA budget to get the word out (though that will certainly be part of the job). Rather, you aspire to challenge the game team in this critical phase of development, to engage with the community even more and create a genuinely meaningful social experience in and around the game and help evolve an already great brand into a multi-decade franchise.
- Ultimate responsibility for the brand, marketing and community in and around the game; the CMO of the game effectively.
- Lead an established cross functional team with experience in UA, community management and live ops.
- Being a strong strategic vision holder for the team; leading marketing strategy & execution when needed.
- Collaborate internally and effectively with game teams and across different marketing functions and offices, including the brand owners and Supercell marketing teams.
- Working with our team, manage & drive important relationships with our key marketing & publishing partners.
- Help the team identify opportunities to build features that will engage and retain the community for years.
- Help the team navigate unique marketing opportunities & challenges in countries where the brand is well established including China and Russia.
- Great people and leadership skills
- Deep experience working with global game and marketing teams
- Experience building and managing online communities, ideally gamer communities.
- Strong communication, collaboration & presentation skills
- Demonstrated capability in long-term strategic thinking & planning with a strong analytical eye on results
- Proactive doer, getting hands-on when needed
- Humble attitude, willing to take feedback well and the ability to lead by example
- Understanding of how to successfully market mobile games, build IP & engage players in China; you’ve managed the end-to-end delivery of complex marketing initiatives
- Passion for games and brands.
The position is in London, but you’re not
It will be important that you are close to the Space Ape development team, so that means working core UK hours for most of the time. If you can do that then the role can be done remotely initially but once we return to a more traditional office environment - hopefully some time in 2022 - then you would be expected to relocate to be close to the team. However, as 2020 has taught us a lot can happen between now and then and so we’re open to discuss flexible working arrangements. The role will also require collaboration with the Supercell teams in Helsinki and San Francisco and Shanghai represents a huge opportunity so the role is truly global.