Manager, User Research
11 days ago
Team Name:Quality Assurance
Job Title:Manager, User Research
The concept of “Blizzard polish,” that is, the infinite care and loving detail put into every aspect of our games, is something we take seriously and pride ourselves on delivering to our players, which is a responsibility shared across the company. Blizzard’s Games User Research team is a close-knit group; we care about sharing knowledge, learning about players’ experiences, actionable findings, and succeeding together. We genuinely love what we do for a living and expect the same from everyone who joins us. If your career is ready for its next great challenge, get in touch and let’s get to work!
Join the ranks of a legendary force of adventurers, demons, orcs, and scientists to help provide the context and humanity of "why" and "how" our players engage with our games.
We love hearing from anyone who is enthusiastic about changing the games industry. Not sure you meet all qualifications? Let us decide! Research shows that women and members of other under-represented groups tend to not apply to jobs when they think they may not meet every qualification, when, in fact, they often do! At Activision Blizzard, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage you to apply.
We are looking for a passionate and experienced User Research Manager to oversee and lead a team of researcher support projects on some of the world’s best-known franchises. You and your team will be responsible for ensuring the smooth and consistent execution of our research and the overall support structure for the department.
Covid-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model, and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
- Oversee the function of research for our centralized research team charged with the support of all our franchises.
- Oversee all aspects of centralized research support, staffing allocations, and road mapping.
- Manage staffing needs, budgetary considerations, and vendor management.
- Build out a structured approach to research execution by working closely with Research leadership team.
- Manage and train centralized research staff on research process and best practices.
- Liaise with Researchers and Leads to collaborate and align on project support needs.
- Create processes for in lab, remote, and off-site research projects.
- Carry out research using several methods including, but not limited, to usability testing, UX, balance testing, focus groups, interviews, surveys, heuristic evaluations, card sorts, exploratory research, and field studies.
- Maintain detailed documentation of study process and communicate process changes to research team.
- Evangelize User Research philosophy and share knowledge of methods and best practices with stakeholders.
- Minimum 3 years in people management experience.
- Minimum 6 years’ experience in usability or user research.
- Graduate degree in psychology, human-computer interaction, human factors, marketing, communications, market research, or related field.
- Experience working with outside vendors and defining statements of work and contract agreements.
- Experience with different software/hardware setups.
- Experience coaching and mentoring researchers.
- Proven research process development skills and a track record of successful deployment.
- Proven organization and prioritization skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communication (both written and verbal).
- Adaptable self-starter that enjoys tackling a large variety of problems.
- Real passion for user testing and video games.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to champion an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.