Manager, Software Engineering - League, Summoner's Rift
2 months ago
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the opportunity to work across multiple domains. As Engineering Managers, we gain organizational alignment by building a strong engineering vision and offering creative solutions to organizational design. We also serve as mentors for engineers, guiding their performance and finding growth opportunities while maintaining a focus on results for players.
As a Manager, Software Engineering on the League of Legends Summoners Rift team you will work with a multidisciplinary leadership team and lead engineers to collaboratively solve gameplay problems with a multidisciplinary team. The play appreciation of our game depends on our ability to keep the game fresh, engaging, and fair for new and seasoned players. You will manage engineers who specialize in the league gameplay tech. You will work with leaders to refine the team's long-term vision, and the organizational plan to support it. You will report to the Gameplay Initiative’s Director of Engineering in our office in Los Angeles.
- Own, refine, and socialize an engineering vision for the team
- Work with other leaders to create a long-term organization and staffing plan that supports product goals
- Interview and recruit new engineers
- Grow engineers to own the bar for code quality and technical sustainability
- Support engineers' careers via mentorship and identifying growth opportunities
- Manage the engineering team's health and performance from a place of empathy and authenticity
- Cultivate a culture of collaboration within the engineering team and the other disciplines on the team
- Support the engineers' efforts with your technical expertise throughout the product life cycle including design, implementation, and delivery of features while continuously improving the software engineering quality and efficiency.
- Unblocking engineers on the team by implementing gameplay features in the League of Legends game using C++, content tools, and game scripting
- 5+ years experience as a software engineer
- Experience with Gameplay engineering and/or C++
- Passion for people management and growing as a engineering manager
- Strong delivery skills and working with Agile processes and software development experience
- Experience mentoring both junior and senior engineers
- Experience in performance management and career development for engineers
- Experience as a technical leader on an engineering team
- Experience collaborating and deliver value with non engineering disciplines
- Experience in large-scale service engineering
- Experience with interviewing and evaluating engineering candidates
- Expert in Java
- Experience leading an engineering team as an Engineering Manager or a Technical Lead
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.