Manager, Server Engineering
13 days ago
Job Title Manager, Server Engineering
The Server Engineer Manager is responsible for ensuring that the online services for our key projects maintain usability, security, and scalability. This position will need to be able to work efficiently across departments and disciplines to communicate constraints and requirements. The Manager, Server Engineering will use their expertise of service architecture and cloud-based systems to properly assist others through development processes. This role will evaluate and maintain existing flows while planning improvements, and have experience working on live titles to be able to support one cohesive engineering direction across all development.
What You’ll Do
- Manage multiple engineers’ development responsibilities within our projects
- Work with multiple teams to define and improve upon processes to promote a stable service environment
- Facilitate and guide spec and design discussions to ensure proper engineering considerations are being made and scope is being maintained
- Work closely with production to align with project milestone priorities and timelines
- Collaborate with multiple disciplines to implement processes to deploy and maintain live services with minimal downtime
- Lead efforts for ensuring the scalability and security of our deployed services
- Maximize test (e.g. unit, integration, etc.) coverage while working to find better ways to stress and test services, systems, and code
- Engineering problem solving, data structure analysis, and designing for scale both in number of titles/products supported and number of users
- Own and maintain the full server stack from inception to CI/CD
What You’ll Bring
- 2+ years in a game development studio in a lead role
- 6+ years of experience with live game services development experience
- Experience of the full development cycle from prototyping and live support
- Experience with online social game systems and games with live development
- Deployed or released significant features for at least one publicly accessible service with large scale usage and proven uptime in a lead role
- Experience working with production teams to define and maintain milestone definitions
- Experience with managing, critiquing, and supporting the development process of multiple reporting engineers
- Experience clearly articulating API design and technical requirements with thoughtful documentation gathering requirements, exploring alternative solutions, and implementing code along the way. Maintain and update documentation as needed.
- Knowledge of the REST protocol and sockets (e.g. websocket, TCP/IP, etc.)
- Knowledge of NoSQL and SQL databases (e.g. AWS DynamoDB, MongoDB, MySQL, etc.)
- Knowledge of managing builds (e.g. Maven, Gradle, Jenkins, etc.)
- Knowledge of frameworks (e.g. Spring, etc.)
- Knowledge of cloud-based systems (e.g. EC2, ECS, S3, Lambda, BigTable, BigQuery, etc.)
- Knowledge of caching systems and mechanisms (e.g. Elasticache, Memcached, Redis, etc.)
How You Will Be Successful
- Bias for Action: You have an eagerness to take initiative and persist in accomplishing objectives despite obstacles and setbacks. You work to resolve requests and incidents with a high sense of urgency and ownership.
- Passion & Pride in your work: You love what you do and how you can add value to your clients; You ensure consistency and quality of your work and take a methodical approach to troubleshooting and resolution.
- Logical and analytical: You’re able to distill and synthesize complex ideas into concise, meaningful information to clients. You’re adept at prioritization and project management with attentiveness to detail and consistent follow through.
- Work Excellence: You set high quality standards for peers through your work and strive for continuous improvement and quality assurance with all deliverables.
- Creativity and Vision: You inject originality into your daily work research, knowledge and networking. You think outside the box and are willing to take a risk to find the best solutions.
- Professional Know-How: You understand procedural and technical aspects of your role. You demonstrate resourcefulness in acquiring additional professional expertise and keep up to date on resources available to enhance skills and meet the needs of all customers.
- Process focus: You see value in process and appreciate the benefits of change. You focus efforts on continuous improvement and optimizing work processes to ensure efficiency and consistency
- Develops Talent: Brings out greatness in others. Fosters the development of people to meet both their career goals and organizational goals.
What to Expect
We offer a professional, fun and creative work environment. While we maintain a good balance between work and life, additional hours may be required at peak times or for specific initiatives.
The Pokémon Company International, a subsidiary of The Pokémon Company in Japan, manages the property outside of Asia and is responsible for brand management, licensing, marketing, the Pokémon Trading Card Game, the animated TV series, home entertainment, and the official Pokémon website. Pokémon was launched in Japan in 1996 and today is one of the most popular children's entertainment properties in the world.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of people so classified. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.