This job might no longer be available.
Manager, Concept Art - Legends of Runeterra
1 month ago
As part of the Legends of Runeterra: Card Art team, you’ll put stylus to Cintiq and create concepts that represent the essence of Runeterra to millions of players. You will use your artistic eye and experience with dynamic lighting, form, and color to tell concise and evocative stories through character design. By closely collaborating with a team of dedicated concept artists, illustrators, writers, animators and game developers, you will help define each character’s unique place in our universe
As the Craft Lead reporting to the Senior Manager, Art Direction for the League of Runeterra Card Art team, your craft expertise, leadership and eye for illustration will help deliver deep engagement and rich fantasy worlds to our players. You will deepen the artists’ capacity for quality, mediate and resolve craft disagreements and misalignments, and prioritize the craft team’s health. You will build trust with the artists on the team and support their career growth while improving craft workflows. You will partner with the Delivery Lead and Illustration Lead to drive effective external contractor management, feedback flows, and the timely delivery of high quality illustration. You will work with Producers, Art Leadership and partner teams to ensure final card art effectively promotes and aligns with various Champions and the world of Runeterra. You will maintain your own craft skills, inspire creativity and keep a high quality bar by personally helping to produce character and environment concept art.
- Partner with Production and Art Leadership to develop high-level execution plans
- Oversee the quality of the team’s work and set the bar for excellence, including hands-on craft contribution
- Set a clear vision, provide consistent feedback, build trust with your team
- Working with direct reports to establish career and specific craft objectives
- Manage career growth, compensation, and motivation of all direct reports
- Drive the development of Style Guides and Process Guides
- Manage and communicate progress with partner teams
- Work with recruiting to find great talent for the team and ensure good onboarding and offboarding
- Assist in external development across studio vendors and contract artists alongside Art Lead and Delivery Lead
- Lead and improve team rituals to support high quality craft and individual growth
- Actively support other craft and art leads by communicating department initiatives, sharing best practices, elevating leadership at Riot, and contributing as a community member.
- 5+ years of industry experience
- Showcase ability to create and iterate on character concept art.
- Extreme proficiency in art fundamentals, visual storytelling and color theory
- Expertise in Illustration to effectively give feedback on high quality illustrations.
- Advanced experience creating digital art assets in Adobe Photoshop
- Experience with creating clear concept call-out sheets.
- Experience as an Art Lead, experience training other artists
- Experience managing direct reports, working with an on-site team of creatives
- Experience working with external vendors, giving thorough direction and delivering timely, clear feedback
- AAA Game Development experience
- TCG familiarity, and the desire to play TCG's.
- Familiarity with League of Legends Characters, IP Universes and Lore
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code . Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming .
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.