MISSION Level Design Director
3 days ago
As a Mission Design Director at Ubi Québec, you will provide players with quests to undertake, puzzles to solve, and goals to accomplish as they journey through an immersive world.
You combine game design and narrative elements to craft a selection of rewarding missions, and then guide a talented group of level designers to transform vision into reality.
As an empathetic mentor, you step in to help your team polish and connect their projects to create a seamless and engaging gameplay experience for players to enjoy.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with the world design director and other core team members to define the vision of a game.
- Brainstorm and research to plan the mission guidelines.
- Assist level designers during prototyping (experiment with designs and explore opportunities).
- Outline the gameplay experience (encounters, flow, rhythm, tension, pacing, variety, etc.) in mission documentation that will serve as a reference and source of inspiration throughout development.
- Coordinate and oversee mission level designers as they bring concept to playability.
- Balance artistic aspects with technical constraints to align all technical, design, graphic, and narrative features.
- Provide mentorship and constructive feedback to your level design team to achieve quality.
- Find solutions to issues uncovered by play testers and cross-functional teams (get to the root of problems to solve them).
What you bring
- A college diploma in Game Design or equivalent (undergraduate degree an asset)
- At least 8 years of experience in the video game industry or other relevant experience and 3 years of leadership experience
- Exceptional communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- A solid understanding of level design and all phases of video game production
- Excellent time management, problem-solving, and organizational skills
- An innovative, creative, and collaborative spirit
- Ability to accept feedback and adapt to it – you have the flexibility to revaluate and adjust your level design direction when and as often as needed!
What to send our way
Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, skills, and any games shipped
With a team of more than 500 talented, innovative and passionate creators, Ubisoft Quebec keeps on growing and continues its ascension. Founded in 2005, the studio has been involved in several key Ubisoft franchises over the years, developing cutting-edge expertise in major AAA game development. Involved in the Assassin's Creed franchise since 2010, the Quebec team recently assumed the leadership of Assassin's Creed Odyssey, the latest installment in the critically acclaimed series. The team has just finished working on a brand new game, Immortals Fenyx Rising.