4 days ago
As a Lighting Artist at Ubi MTL, you will add the last layer of detail to beautify 3D environments and craft a cohesive, vibrant, and immersive world. Every choice you make, from colour to contrast, influences and inspires emotions and encourages players to engage in what will be a memorable gameplay experience.
With an artistic yet technical eye, you seamlessly and strategically manipulate lighting to draw the players’ eyes to key areas and subtly show them the way. You are the players’ silent travel companion, – their intuition, even – helping them navigate while experiencing the moods and ambiances you’ve created.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with the art team to develop the look and feel of a game;
- Find visual references based on the artistic and technical directions;
- Set up light sources to support narrative elements and gameplay progression;
- Light game environments, characters, and cinematics to direct the players’ attention, set the emotional tone, communicate atmosphere and plot details, etc.;
- Balance artistic aspects with technical constraints;
- Document and share your lighting design knowledge and best practices;
- Refine your integrated lighting effects based on feedback received from interdependent teams, debugging when need be.
What you bring
- Experience in lighting, texturing, image processing in Unity (photography, computer graphics, or pre-rendering an asset);
- Knowledge of 2D art tools (e.g. Photoshop) and familiarity with 3D software (e.g. 3DS Max) + Unity game engine;
- A solid understanding of art fundamentals (composition, space, colour theory, form, etc.);
- Ability to accept feedback and adapt to it;
- Excellent observation, communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills;
- A creative and collaborative spirit;
- Aesthetic sensitivity and a keen eye for even the subtlest of details!
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, and skills
- A portfolio of your best work (attach images or send us a link to your personal website or online portfolio)
Ubisoft’s 20,000 team members, working across more than 30 countries around the world, are bound by a common mission: enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their commitment and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come.
Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves.
When you join Ubi MTL, you discover a workplace that sparks inspiration and connection. We offer a collaborative space that provides career advancement, a host of learning opportunities, and meaningful benefits centred on well-being.
If you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, harnessing cutting-edge technologies, and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join us on our journey and help us create the unknown.
At Ubisoft, you can come as you are. We embrace diversity in all its forms. We’re committed to fostering a work environment that is inclusive and respectful of all differences.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.