Montreal QC ca
8 days ago
As a Lighting Artist at Ubi MTL, you will add the last layer of detail to beautify 3D environments and craft a cohesive, vibrant, and immersive world. Every choice you make, from colour to contrast, influences and inspires emotions and encourages players to engage in what will be a memorable gameplay experience.
With an artistic yet technical eye, you seamlessly and strategically manipulate lighting to draw the players’ eyes to key areas and subtly show them the way. You are the players’ silent travel companion, – their intuition, even – helping them navigate while experiencing the moods and ambiances you’ve created.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with the art team to develop the look and feel of a game.
- Find visual references based on the artistic and technical directions.
- Set up light sources to support narrative elements and gameplay progression.
- Light game environments, characters, and cinematics to direct the players’ attention, set the emotional tone, communicate atmosphere and plot details, etc.
- Balance artistic aspects with technical constraints.
- Document and share your lighting design knowledge and best practices.
- Refine your integrated lighting effects based on feedback received from interdependent teams, debugging when need be.
What you bring
- A college diploma in Fine Art, Visual Effects, or equivalent (undergraduate degree an asset)
- At least 3 years of experience in lighting, texturing, image processing, or other relevant experience (photography, computer graphics, or pre-rendering an asset)
- Knowledge of 2D art tools (e.g. Photoshop) and familiarity with 3D software (e.g. 3DS Max) + game engines (e.g. Unity or Unreal)
- A solid understanding of art fundamentals (composition, space, colour theory, form, etc.)
- Ability to accept feedback and adapt to it
- Excellent observation, communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- A creative and collaborative spirit
- Aesthetic sensitivity and a keen eye for even the subtlest of details!
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, and skills
- A portfolio of your best work (attach images or send us a link to your personal website or online portfolio)
At Ubisoft Montreal, a preeminent developer of video games located in Montreal’s dynamic Mile-End neighbourhood since 1997, we offer a work environment unique in the industry for allowing you to build and cultivate games that are part of critically acclaimed, iconic AAA franchises of international repute.
When you join Ubi Montreal, you enter a community of passionate, extraordinary developers connected by their need to innovate, to be creative and to work with the latest technology. You’ll discover a world where employees enjoy constant career advancement, a supportive learning environment, and competitive compensation packages.
More than anything, at Ubi Montreal, you will regularly ship a variety of big, quality titles – Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Rainbow Six, Watch_Dogs, For Honor and… well we can’t disclose all our secrets just yet… – and work with some of the most talented people in the industry.
We are an equal-opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.