9 days ago
Ubisoft Montreal, an industry leading developer of video games, located in the heart of Montreal’s Mile-End, offers a unique environment where creativity, teamwork and cutting-edge technology bring to life critically acclaimed video games and iconic AAA franchises. You will benefit from a competitive compensation package, an open learning environment, and contribute to an international team driving innovation.
The lighting specialist will design quality lighting effects (game and cut scenes) to create atmospheres and direct the player’s attention based on the artistic direction, gameplay/design/game narration, technological limitations and production deadlines.
The main and routine tasks of the lighting specialist are to:
- Understand the game design and artistic direction documents to become familiar with the challenges that will impact game lighting and be able to propose atmosphere and lighting ideas;
- Work with the Graphic technical director and programmers to create lighting-specific tools and features;
- Design lighting systems that will support the atmosphere and gameplay effects and highlight the work of other working units;
- In addition to light sources, set out the selected moods and atmospheres;
- Have the artistic director and technical director validate the quality of the lighting and make any changes that are requested;
- Verify the quality of the lighting once the elements are imported into the game and make any necessary improvements;
- Communicate with other working units to look into the root causes of lighting issues;
- Be a point of contact for other project working groups and production sites (outsourcing) for technical lighting issues to solve any lighting problems and enhance the quality of the product;
- Fix the lighting bugs entered by testers;
- Optimize the lighting effects to produce the best possible lighting, in keeping with the technical limitations of the engine;
- Carry out all other related tasks.
College diploma in modelling for video games or equivalent.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in shading, texture, special effects, image processing or another relevant field;
- Experience in photography an asset;
- Experience in computer graphics or pre-rendering an asset.
Skills and Knowledge
- Sense of initiative and proactivity;
- Attention to detail;
- Ability to accept feedback and adapt to change;
- Originality and resourcefulness when setting out solutions;
- Extensive knowledge of lighting, colour and image composition;
- Knowledge of other video game production working units;
- Solid artistic knowledge of lighting techniques, realtime and pre-rendering.