9 days ago
Supermassive Games are looking for a highly talented and experienced Lighting Artist to play a key role in the studio.
The primary role of this position is to take ownership of the lighting of environments and characters for one of our games, ensuring that it meets the art direction requirements of the game whilst adhering to any technical restrictions.
The main and routine tasks of this position are:
- Taking game scenes and lighting them to both a creative and technical brief.
- Help to drive narrative story telling through effective use of colour, light and mood. Using lighting to help convey emotional experiences.
- Working closely with the art team to improve workflows and processes.
- Collaborating with other disciplines such as 3D modelers and VFX artists, graphics programmers and level designers to create great AAA game experiences.
We're looking for:
- At least 3 years of experience as a lighting artist or equivalent senior artist role, working on at least one AAA title.
We'd be especially impressed by:
- In-depth understanding and practical experience of lighting in either real-time gaming engines or in high-end CGI productions.
- A strong portfolio of work which demonstrates the ability to work with both realistic and stylised lighting/visual styles.
- An excellent understanding of composition and colour theory.
- Unreal Engine, or similar (UNITY, CryEngine, Frostbite, etc.)
- Baked and real-time lighting techniques in modern game engines.
- Experience using Unreal Engine.
- Working knowledge of rendering engines such as Renderman, VRay, Mental Ray or Arnold
- Compositing and colour grading experience
You should have:
- A drive to constantly push art quality and try out new ideas.
- A highly positive and proactive work ethic.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and negotiation skills.
You also need to be:
- Flexible and open-minded
- Determined and self-motivated
- Prepared to rise to a challenge
- Always striving for quality
- Creative and innovative
Why join us?
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- We make big games with small teams - you will play a full and active role
- Challenging and rewarding projects as standard
- 25 days annual leave
- Private health insurance
- Life assurance x6 time annual salary
- Quarterly profit related bonus scheme
- Social events - including large summer party
- Constantly improving tools and workflow so you can focus on creativity
- Fast decision-making allows good ideas to flourish
- We celebrate and nurture talent
- Our supportive, inclusive and friendly team culture is something we are proud of
- Work-life balance is something we respect and protect
- Ultimately, you’ll work on the cutting edge - making innovative and immersive games