This job might no longer be available.
Lighting Artist (Unity)
18 days ago
As a Lighting Artist (Unity) at Ubi MTL, you will add the last layer of detail to beautify 3D environments and craft a cohesive, vibrant, and immersive world. Every choice you make, from colour to contrast, influences and inspires emotions and encourages players to engage in what will be a memorable gameplay experience.
With an artistic yet technical eye, you seamlessly and strategically manipulate lighting to draw the players’ eyes to key areas and subtly show them the way. You are the players’ silent travel companion, – their intuition, even – helping them navigate while experiencing the moods and ambiances you’ve created.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with the art team to develop the look and feel of a game;
- Find visual references based on the artistic and technical directions;
- Set up light sources to support narrative elements and gameplay progression;
- Light game environments, characters, and cinematics to direct the players’ attention, set the emotional tone, communicate atmosphere and plot details, etc.;
- Balance artistic aspects with technical constraints;
- Document and share your lighting design knowledge and best practices;
- Refine your integrated lighting effects based on feedback received from interdependent teams, debugging when need be.
What you bring
- Experience in lighting, texturing, image processing in Unity (photography, computer graphics, or pre-rendering an asset);
- Knowledge of 2D art tools (e.g. Photoshop) and familiarity with 3D software (e.g. 3DS Max) + Unity game engine;
- A solid understanding of art fundamentals (composition, space, colour theory, form, etc.);
- Ability to accept feedback and adapt to it;
- Excellent observation, communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills;
- A creative and collaborative spirit;
- Aesthetic sensitivity and a keen eye for even the subtlest of details!
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, and skills
- A portfolio of your best work (attach images or send us a link to your personal website or online portfolio)
Just a heads up: If you require a work permit, your eligibility may depend on your education and years of relevant work experience, as required by the government.
Creating the unknown since 1997. At Ubisoft Montreal, we’re united by a common goal: to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. We develop iconic franchises that engage millions around the world, like Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, For Honor, Rainbow Six, Watch Dogs – and, well, we can’t disclose all our secrets just yet.
Our biggest strength is – and always will be – our people: the immensely talented team members surrounding, supporting, and producing the high-quality games that have made our studio what it is today.
When you join Ubi MTL, you’ll discover a workplace that sparks inspiration and connection: an environment with a variety of voices, identities, backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We offer a collaborative space that provides career advancement, a host of learning opportunities, and meaningful benefits centred on well-being. Here, our shared desire to dream big, take risks, and constantly improve contributes to the innovation and boundary-pushing that ultimately leads to our collective success.