Lighting Artist - Sledgehammer Games Guildford (UK)
12 days ago
Job Title:Lighting Artist - Sledgehammer Games Guildford (UK)
Sledgehammer Games, award winning developer of multiple titles in the Call of Duty franchise, is looking for talented developers to join our studio as founding members of our new UK team, based just south of London in Guildford. This group will partner equally with our teams in Foster City, Melbourne, and Toronto in the creation of epic content for some of the biggest games in the world. This is an opportunity to help grow and shape a AAA team from the ground up, adding new skills to your armory while gaining the unique satisfaction that only comes from building something brand new. Join us on our quest to maintain and improve a healthy and inspiring studio culture!
At Sledgehammer Games, we recently entered our second decade of game development, focused on constant evolution, innovation and qualified risk-taking. With world-class content production and engineering teams, we’ve been able to achieve some of the highest-quality game execution of any studio in the industry. We love what we do and work hard to make sure that each new game we make is even better than the last. Creativity is key, and we’re looking for talented game developers for our exciting new projects.
Sledgehammer Games is wholly owned by Activision. To learn more about our studio, please visit us at www.sledgehammergames.com or search for Sledgehammer Games on your favorite social media platform. Want to hear what it’s like at the studio directly from current employees? Check out our #LifeatSHG developer profiles: https://youtu.be/12DUBszg-w4
As our newest teammate, you will work side by side with our Lighting Leads. Together, you will help execute some of the most awe-inspiring landscapes in video games. You and our team will be accomplishing this by having routine 1:1s, weekly team meetings, you will have an in-depth training period, and open dialog / high communication with adjacent teams. We move fast, and in-order to join our ranks, please see the below criteria.
Priorities can often change in a fast-paced environment like ours, so this role includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Responsible for creating game-play and in-game cinematic lighting based on direction from the Art Director and Lighting Lead for campaign and multiplayer.
- Ensure a high level of quality while maintaining a full production load.
- Ensure that lighting assets meet runtime and disk budgeting requirements.
- Anticipate, identify, and report any potential production problems and communicate those to the Lead.
- Work collaboratively with other departments, especially Environment, Character, and VFX.
- Work in and maintain an efficient organization structure for all lighting assets.
- Stay current with industry lighting techniques.
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent art portfolio.
- 3+ years’ experience in a lighting role.
- Solid understanding of lighting fundamentals.
- Knowledge of color theory and strong sense of light and shadow.
- Understanding of composition and the ability to enhance mood with lighting.
- Effectively use Color Grading and Post Effects to enhance the final image.
- Working knowledge of industry standard rendering concepts and processes.
- An eye for perfection.
- Working knowledge of creating lighting within a pre-baked light-map pipeline.
- Unreal, Unity, or other Proprietary Engines.
- Experience with one or more scripting/programming languages.
- Experience with PBR & HDR lighting.
- Knowledge of photography principals and image correction techniques.
- Experience playing Call of Duty or Similar First-Person-Shooters.
Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment. We are home to some of the most beloved entertainment franchises including Call of Duty ®, World of Warcraft® , Overwatch ®, Diablo ®, Candy Crush ™ and Bubble Witch ™. Our combined entertainment network delights hundreds of millions of monthly active users in 196 countries, making us the largest gaming network on the planet!
Our ability to build immersive and innovate worlds is only enhanced by diverse teams working in an inclusive environment. We aspire to have a culture where everyone can thrive in order to connect and engage the world through epic entertainment. We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered!
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
Sledgehammer Games is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.