Lighter, Cinematics (Contract)
Vancouver, BC, Canada
8 days ago
Blackbird Interactive is looking for a Lighter to join our cinematics team.
The ideal candidate has a thorough knowledge of lighting fundamentals including value, color and composition and an excellent understanding of Maya, Nuke and Redshift. You will also be expected to play a role in solving technical problems through collaboration with your supervisors.
- Initial set-up and key-lighting of a sequence based on art direction.
- Realize high visual benchmarks by set/scene optimization and respect for the technical constraints.
- Craft compelling lighting which supports story and art direction.
- Translate concept art into outstanding real-time lighting visuals.
- Work with Art and Programming teams to anticipate and solve technical challenges within given constraints and visual requirements.
- Be proactive about seeking feedback and communication with the Art Director and other relevant roles.
- Experience of lighting in game/film
- Excellent knowledge of relevant 2D and 3D software (Maya, Nuke, and Photoshop preferred)
- A keen eye for spatial composition, lighting, and building believable spaces.
- Good experience as a Key-lighter, Lighter and general comp artist
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- High degree of self-motivation and initiative.
- An understanding of effective asset creation and optimization.
- Candidates should be able to work with minimal input and be comfortable working in a team environment.
- 5+ years of work experience in lighting in games or CG film
At Blackbird, we're all about being true to our roots. We started small in our CEO's garage, and even though we're expanding, our desire is to stick to that foundation of creativity, community, and collaboration. Our team has proved that great ideas can come from any position in any discipline, so it's important to us to make sure every voice is heard.
Work/life balance is extremely important to us, and we've demonstrated that over the years by severely limiting over-time requirements. We want people to be happy about coming to work every day, and to that end we offer lots of opportunities for growth and development; whether it's lunch and learns, team events, or our generous vacation days, paid holiday closure and flexible schedules. We also try to provide every opportunity possible for our employees to spearhead R&D initiatives through our BlackOps program. In short, don't expect to feel like a cog in a machine working for BBI.
Due to COVID-19, applicants must be eligible to work in Canada, or currently in Canada on a work permit/visa. With the exception of specifically on-site roles, all roles will commence as a work-from-home arrangement. This arrangement will be revisited as COVID-19 government regulations are eased.
Please send a cover letter with your resume and application. If applying for an artistic role, please provide a link to your portfolio and/or demo reel.
If you are interested in the role, please apply even if your experience and skills don’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. BBI does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.