Los Angeles, CA
6 days ago
Visual Concepts is one of the world’s top game development studios with a flat, entrepreneurial, and non-corporate work environment. We have a proven track record having shipped over 100 multi-SKU titles to great critical acclaim.
Our studio in Foothill Ranch, CA is committed to gaming and technical innovation and offers top candidates the opportunity to learn and grow with some of the smartest and most creative minds in the industry.
We are seeking a Level Designer to join our development efforts on an exciting new vehicle-based, open world project! Within this role, you will focus on shaping engaging game zones where you will create exciting missions and events. You’ll work with engineers, artists, and other designers to conceptualize, prototype, iterate, and ship large activity-filled play-spaces.
- Document, build, implement, bug-fix and “own” your ideas, overseeing them from concept through to final release
- Cooperate with the entire design team and other departments to maximize use of existing game systems, and support the needs of fellow developers
- Prototype and pitch your own design ideas to the team
- Block out zones and play spaces in-engine, proving that these zones are fun to traverse, intuitive to navigate, and fulfill the goals set by the game’s narrative and technical requirements
- Create missions using the environment and the core game features to provide players with thrilling content.
- Analyze, validate, and incorporate feedback from the team, as well as from external user testing, as needed
- Shipped at least 1 AAA video game within a Level Designer role
- Experienced in designing and developing game spaces, including block-outs
- Comfortable with both conceptual and practical aspects of game design
- Experienced with 3D world and level building tools
- Comfortable with development that is playtest-driven and focused on iteration and polish
- Ability to find new opportunities for improvements and additions within a game
- Ability to work in a team and collaborate with engineers, artists, and other designers
- Good communication and presentation skills
- Self-motivated and proactive
- Experience with programming or scripting
- Experience with Unreal Engine
Along with your application, please submit a portfolio of professional or personal work samples, demonstrating successful understanding and application of level design techniques.