Level Designer, Unannounced Project
17 days ago
Team Name:Unannounced Project
Job Title:Level Designer, Unannounced Project
Blizzard Entertainment is seeking a talented and passionate level designer to collaborate with our worldbuilding team for an unannounced project. As a level designer, you will foster Blizzard’s core value of “Gameplay First” as you collaborate with a small team of designers, engineers, and artists responsible for crafting this unannounced project's world.
We are a team of passionate developers that highly values open-minded collaboration, direct, objective feedback, and the eagerness to grab and drive a feature to Blizzard quality. As a level designer on the team, you will collaborate closely with design to create excellent gameplay spaces, while also championing artistic execution alongside environment and concept artists. You will be reviewing feedback from playtests and collaborate with your teammates to decide what actions to take. When particularly hard problems arise, you will draw upon the team's collective creativity to finalize a design that meets the project’s needs.
The ideal candidate will have proven experience building immersive, explorable environments for modern AAA titles. By blending your mastery of level design with a critical eye for layout and art, you will create epic, memorable worlds. Our incubation teams work at a fast pace and are ripe with challenges to take on.
Your portfolio should include visual examples of your favorite game spaces that you have created in your career to date.
COVID-19 Hiring Update: We've transitioned to a work-from-home model and we're continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person's circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
- Provide world building and level design from conception to the final stages of polish.
- Implement level design/project goals and objectives, ensuring the game's creative pillars are captured.
- Partner with engineering to define and create tooling that effectively complements Blizzard's world-class handcrafted level design.
- Embrace Blizzard's core value of "Every voice matters," creating a safe space for collaboration, communication, and creativity across all disciplines and departments.
- 2+ years’ experience in the games industry working as level designer, shipping at least one AAA title.
- Demonstrated mastery of level design processes including, but not limited to, level flow, engagement design, pacing, storytelling, etc.
- Strong understanding of level editing packages such as Maya, Unity, UDK, or other proprietary tools.
- Good spatial and layout design skills.
- Expert game design sensibilities.
- Ability to pitch game design concepts in a clear, detailed manner, through strong written and verbal skills.
- Experience using rapid prototyping to test the feasibility of concepts.
- Passion for making games look and play great.
- Ability to self-critique and accept outside feedback.
- Self-motivated with a strong work ethic.
- Experience with AAA game engines such as Source, Unreal, Unity, or CryEngine
- Knowledge of Maya, 3DS Max, Photoshop, Zbrush, and Substance.
- Passion for action games on console or PC.
*Only submittals with cover letters will be considered.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work/life balance. We've worked hard to champion an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything, and our core values are real.
Job Status: Full-Time
Primary Location: United States-CA-Irvine
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Come help us bring the world together through epic entertainment!