Level Designer (Contract)
Santa Monica, CA
6 days ago
PlayQ is a rapidly growing mobile gaming studio based in the heart of sunny Santa Monica. Our titles have been downloaded over 60 million times worldwide, with millions of users playing our games every day!
Our goal is to deliver tomorrow's nostalgic game experiences to a global audience and we rely on our dedicated team to craft these unforgettable games that our users love. We believe that the best games come from diverse teams with a shared desire to create something amazing. From our beachfront headquarters to our innovative tech stack, it’s no surprise that PlayQ was named as one of the 2018 Best Places to Work in Los Angeles by the Los Angeles Business Journal.
We're looking for people who have a genuine love for their craft and we invite you to join us in this exciting endeavor.
PlayQ is looking for an outstanding Level Designer (Contract) to create compelling match-3 puzzle content for our world-class hit mobile game "Charm King". This position will work remotely, using a proprietary suite of tools to craft and test game levels that are fun, challenging, and appealing to a broad range of players.
The ideal candidate is creative, organized, diligent, and eager to make their mark in the popular and competitive casual puzzle game space. Success in this role requires a team player with a love of puzzle games who enjoys the creative challenge of exploring the limits of existing game mechanics and features to their fullest, both individually and in combination.
Samples of designed levels in previously shipped games is requested.
This is an off-site, contract position with competitive hourly pay, based on experience. The position requires 40 hours per week, which includes drafting, editing, playtesting, and revising match-3 levels.
- Use tools to create, test, tune, and implement compelling puzzle levels by fixed deadlines and according to specified requirements regarding difficulty and feature usage
- Perform additional playtests and prepare data and feedback for puzzle levels created by other level designers
- Organize levels according to defined difficulty curves
- Ensure level content is displayed and behaves properly on mobile devices
- Remain ‘up-to-the-minute’ current on casual puzzle game genres and competitive titles
- 1+ years of professional game design experience
- Bachelor's degree
- Understanding of core mechanics, game loops, and meta-game systems gained by being an avid player of puzzle games
- Game balancing experience through previous development
- Familiarity with level tuning processes and practices
- Willingness to accept and provide constructive criticism
- Ability to effectively manage time and work efficiently in a remote capacity and within a deadline driven environment
- Proficiency with Google Apps for Business (Mail, Docs, Sheets), and other software (Slack, Dropbox, Trello, etc.)
- Puzzle level design experience on at least one shipped title
- Hundreds of mobile casual puzzle games levels (e.g. Match-3) completed across multiple top games
- Knowledge of up-and-coming games and trends in gaming across mobile, PC, and console
- Ability to analyze, understand, and articulate what contributes to quality puzzle level design
- Design and create levels that will be played by millions of users
- Work remotely with flexible hours
- Collaborate with an exceptionally talented, knowledgeable, and supportive team!
Interested? Please get in touch!