Level Design Intern
USA-CA-Los Angeles-Jefferson / 757
1 month ago
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
This internship is for Summer 2020.
Level Design Intern
Santa Monica Studio
We have an exciting opening for an level designer to join the AAA dev team at Santa Monica Studio!
Do you have a passion for epic adventures with unique locations and intriguing characters?
Do you have a burning desire to create a level which is highly polished and flows perfectly?
Level design is an extremely important part of the team at Sony Santa Monica and we’re looking for the type of person who can make an incredible, memorable level!
As a level designer, you’ll work with the Lead Level Designers and Design Director on the following: level design layout, scripting events, tuning AI encounters, 2D design documentation and all things gameplay-related.
You’ll work within established level design metrics and utilize the game systems in order to create challenging AI encounters, interesting puzzle scenarios and unique moments.
- Using 3D Packages to layout environments (Preferably Maya)
- Using 2D Packages to build 2D maps (Preferably Illustrator, Photoshop)
- Experience with how cameras work in a 3D world to create proper camera collision in a level
- Scripting events and debugging game logic
- Tuning combat encounters and navigation challenges
- Crafting intuitive and interesting puzzles
- Sound implementation and trigger tuning
- An understanding of level flow and challenge
- A great communicator who is personable and flexible with their ideas
- 1-2 years in game development or on student projects, or equivalent experience as proven in portfolio of work.
- 1 or more years in a level design specific role on a game or student project.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.